2 Dead in cave diving incident.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabanker

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting for the 11:00 news but news blurb said two divers who were cave diving died saturday and bodies were recovered today.

yes, I heard they were at Eagles Nest.

Scuba_Jenny:
yes, I heard they were at Eagles Nest.

Only one was recovered today, the other is still missing and the recovery efforts will start up again on monday.

Eagles nest is a very big, very deep cave and recovery will be extremely dangerous and challenging.

The names are being withheld until an official report has been completed.

Just heard on Fox News out of Tampa, 2 divers died while cave diving near Weeki Wachee, FL. One body recovered, no air in his tank. Second body not yet recovered. I live in the area, but don't know exactly where they were diving.

Dragracer:
Just heard on Fox News out of Tampa, 2 divers died while cave diving near Weeki Wachee, FL. One body recovered, no air in his tank. Second body not yet recovered. I live in the area, but don't know exactly where they were diving.

Yep, I heard about that too. They were diving a deep cave system called Eagle's Nest. Apparently they were using DPV's that failed back inside the cave system.

I may get flamed for my opinion, but perhaps it would be better if DPV's were prohibited in caves. Even if both divers had individual DPV's and one became inoperative, the additional load on the remaining DPV pulling 2 divers could cause it to prematurely exhaust its battery resulting in the same sort of tragedy mentioned in this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom