2 divers die at Point Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah but i still dont understand how 2 people would die from that. One person I get but both? Do you think it could have been contaminated air or something like that?

Take one panicky OOA diver. Add a dive buddy who hasn't practiced air shares since OW class (you know who you are!) and you have a possible scenario where both divers could embolize. Had they also dropped weights during the crisis, then both would have been positively buoyant at the surface.

That's the only scenario I can come up that would account for what little we know about this incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah but i still dont understand how 2 people would die from that. One person I get but both? Do you think it could have been contaminated air or something like that?
Last year two teenagers died in Monterey Bay with both of them being OOA. Do you remember that? They were found near each other on the bottom.

Practice, practice, practice...and when you think you have it dialed, keep the muscle memory up by practicing. Of course knowing gas requirements is one of the most important steps.

Courtesy of Lamont. NW Grateful Diver also has some excellent articles to read.
http://www.scriptkiddie.org/blog/2010/09/19/rock-bottom-and-gas-management-for-recreational-divers/

Has any more information come to light? It would be nice if other divers could take something from this tragedy that might prevent it from happening again.

Back
Top Bottom