2 FIBR questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rayaa3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I have 2 questions for the Fantasy Island Beach Resort frequenters

My wife and I are going to FIBR in 10 days. We booked with privilege hotels directly, online - and are coming in for a Monday arrival. I realize this seems to be somewhat non-typical for FIBR, and have some concerns as we are not following what seems to be 'normal' routines for the hotel...

question 1 - the dive orientation, do they give that every night? I don't want to give up diving on Tuesday morning because they are still getting our c cards and waivers signed.

question 2 - does the dive shop rent wetsuits? The wife will need a shortie, and doesn't want to buy one right now (she's been taking very good care of herself and is not done 'shrinking' yet). Anyone know if they rent shorties at the shop?

Thanks to anyone who can say for sure on these two items,

Ray

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon. I did my orientation Monday morning 8:30am and was on the morning 9am boat leaving harbor. There was 4 of in the group and it lasted less than 10 minutes.

I didn't need to rent a wetsuit, but I'm pretty sure they had plenty for rent, although not positive about that. Hopefully someone with direct experience can offer some help.

thanks for the info :)

Honnestly Raya, get your wife a wetsuit. The rental gear at FIBR is... Honnestly... Dismal...:depressed: A shorty is cheap and it will fit her right... And nobody has peed in it yet... She will appreciate the diving more with her won wetsuit! Just get another when she is done shrinking!:coffee:

Just my 0.02$

Hey your preaching to the choir here. This is at her insistance not mine. You can't make her go to the shop to try one on and buy one - and if you order one without her and it doesn't fit - well - never buy a woman clothes that don't fit...OF ANY KIND.

Nope - we had this problem on our last trip to Cozumel as well - and she prefers crappy rental suits to buying...I don't know if it's a motivation thing - she's motivated to keep working on it - or what - but that's her issue.

My job, as much as possible, is to help her with what she prefers to do.

What really pisses me off is I could buy a cheap shorty for the price of renting one for the week....

But hey - that's marriage. If your going to do it for any amount of time, you better learn to let go of the things that piss you off.

Not to worry...Robert will accomodate you with a dive briefing WHENEVER you need it and will get you diving. When you arrive on Monday, unpack your dive gear and take it down to the dive shop, where you can pick out your locker for the week and stow your gear. Be sure to bring your C cards and you can get all fixed up and ready to get started Tuesday morning. I know they rent wetsuits, but am not sure about the selection or availability of different sizes. I would think the selection is VERY limited and the smartest thing to do is get your wife to buy a shorty for the trip :wink:

Maybe if you stress the "PEE factor" enough... Or as an option, rent one from your LDS and bring it with you...

Good luck...:rofl3:

Hey your preaching to the choir here. This is at her insistance not mine. You can't make her go to the shop to try one on and buy one - and if you order one without her and it doesn't fit - well - never buy a woman clothes that don't fit...OF ANY KIND.

Nope - we had this problem on our last trip to Cozumel as well - and she prefers crappy rental suits to buying...I don't know if it's a motivation thing - she's motivated to keep working on it - or what - but that's her issue.

My job, as much as possible, is to help her with what she prefers to do.

What really pisses me off is I could buy a cheap shorty for the price of renting one for the week....

But hey - that's marriage. If your going to do it for any amount of time, you better learn to let go of the things that piss you off.

As stated earlier Robert will take good care of you. You can expect to do your dive briefing first thing the morning after your arrival and be down at the docks by 9:00 in the morning.

As far as the wetsuit goes I would have a talk with she who must be obeyed and recommend she buy a suit before you go. You can not be sure that Fantasy Island will have one that will fit her, their rental stock is somewhat limited. I would explain that if you get there and are not able to find a suitable wetsuit it will put a damper on your vacation. As you said it would be cheaper to just buy one than rent one for the whole week. Also you could always list it on ebay when you get back and recoup most of it's cost.

Have a great time, I loved Fantasy Island and wont be back there again until march, way to long to be away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom