2 Gas or 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any multi gas trimix DC will do fine. I would also suggest waiting until you have a better understanding of the type of diving you plan on doing as equipment gets cheaper and better. Popular tech DC include VR3/x, Liquivision X1, Sherwood Predator, Suunto Helo2.

The best option is propper dive/gas planning, bottom timer and the grey stuff between your ears.

How does using an X1 or Predator, preclude proper planning, using your brain, or a bottom timer for that matter?

Any multi gas trimix DC will do fine. I would also suggest waiting until you have a better understanding of the type of diving you plan on doing as equipment gets cheaper and better. Popular tech DC include VR3/x, Liquivision X1, Sherwood Predator, Suunto Helo2.

The best option is propper dive/gas planning, bottom timer and the grey stuff between your ears.

Shearwater Predator, not Sherwood. I don't want him to think poor customer service is in his future if he buys a predator.

Just found this deal. Tusa DC Hunter Wrist Dive Computer (IQ-700) 2 gas, reliable computer. New from authorized dealer $225 = 8.45 shipping.

I used a Zeagle N2ition which is the same computer through advanced nitrox/deco procedures. The Zeagle is now my recreational dive computer and bottom timer on tech dives. The Zeagle has been a great wrist computer.

Tec 2G will do just fine. You can use it as a backup to your two gas (non trimix) plans for deco dives, and in the long run as a bottom timer.

I have one alongside the regular bottom timer.

Fun to see it 'kill' you with 199% O2 exposure when you play around a bit with trimix on a shallower dive (40-50m) but don't want to bend it for later on (achieve this by increasing O2 % percentage to make it 'cut' deco to resemble your dive plan:wink:). Oh, and that's why you want one with alarms off function... :D

... I want to get a new computer. I want something that I will be able to use when I start getting into tech. Ive got my eye on the Aladin Tec2G.
I am curious - why are you looking at this particular unit? I mean no criticism of the unit, only that I don't understand from your post why you are looking at a 2 gas computer, or this particular computer, for recreational diving.
My question is, if I continue on and do more in depth tech classes how soon if ever will I need 3 gas switching?
If you wish to use a computer as a true back-up (not as just a bottom timer) to the tables you will generate for your deco dives, then I think the answer is, 'You will probably find a need for a 3 gas computer before you finish technical training.'
... I like the Tec2G but my only concern was only 2 gas.
I would not buy the unit as a computer that I plan to use for technical diving (other than as a bottom timer). What is it that you like about it for recreational diving?
... Would I get alot of use out of the Tec2G before I had to buy another computer?
If you do a lot of non-technical recreational diving, yes you would. If you want a good recreational dive computer, though, you might find something a little cheaper and just as good, with one gas capability.

I plan on taking an entry level tech class when in about a year but for the time being I want to get a new computer. I want something that I will be able to use when I start getting into tech. Ive got my eye on the Aladin Tec2G. My question is, if I continue on and do more in depth tech classes how soon if ever will I need 3 gas switching? I like the Tec2G but my only concern was only 2 gas. Let just say I continued to take classes up to Trimix. Would I get alot of use out of the Tec2G before I had to buy another computer?

If you want to tech dive with a dive computer... get a tech diving computer. Personally, I prefer the Shearwater. It's a 5 gas OC/CCR/SCR computer. Not to mention that the software in the unit itself is updated on a regular basis by Shearwater Research to keep up with what tech divers want in their consoles.

So I guess to answer your question specifically... 2 gas computer is not enough...

Something else to think about is this. A computer like Shearwater allows you to change your gasses on the fly, should you find yourself breathing your buddies gas for whatever reason... you can change your mix, and your deco times are adjusted. On the 2 gas computers... you're locked in to what you pre-program.

I'd recommend getting a copy of "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell to start. The question you should be asking is "Which deco model do I want to use?", not how many gases you can set up on your computer. Once you have have answered that, then you can look for a computer that supports the software you want to use.

That being said, the Tec 2g is a popular bottom timer, but I think the new Xen from Liquivision is going to blow it away

Last edited:
I'd recommend getting a copy of "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell to start. The question you should be asking is "Which deco model do I want to use?", not how many gases you can set up on your computer. Once you have have answered that, then you can look for a computer that supports the software you want to use.

That being said, the Tec 2g is a popular bottom timer, but I think the new Xen from Liquivision is going to blow it away

Me too! :wink:

I also echo the comments about Mark Powell's book... I have 2 copies myself (one autographed to share, and one autographed with a witty insult that I must keep and will cherish forever).

If looking toward a bottom timer, check out the Xen. You'll be very glad you did.

-Doug
Liquivision Marketing & Sales Manager

What's the price of the Xen?

Not really following what's happening with the dive computer scene too much, so I could be living under a rock. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom