2 Gas or 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I plan on taking an entry level tech class when in about a year but for the time being I want to get a new computer. I want something that I will be able to use when I start getting into tech. Ive got my eye on the Aladin Tec2G. My question is, if I continue on and do more in depth tech classes how soon if ever will I need 3 gas switching? I like the Tec2G but my only concern was only 2 gas. Let just say I continued to take classes up to Trimix. Would I get alot of use out of the Tec2G before I had to buy another computer?

I'v done many hypoxic trimix dives with only 2 deco gasses. Having said that, I'd never consider using a vanilla, single phase algorithm for a decompression schedule. The bend & mend approach achieved by chasing "M" values to the surface doesn't suit me.

I hear they make a good bottom timer though.

Having completed tech training, do you have any idea of the depth and duration of the sites you would be most regularly tech diving?

Remember that computer has a gauge mode so you could always just cut your own tables and run it in gauge mode once you feel you have out grown it's capabilities.

Having completed tech training, do you have any idea of the depth and duration of the sites you would be most regularly tech diving?

I have not taken any classes yet so I am not really sure about the duration but I would say no deeper than 200 feet. I am in the Army though so its only a matter of time before I move somewhere else so who knows whats in the future.

My MO is to use a three gas computer along with cut tables. Of the limited number of tec dives I have done I used:

Back gas
Deco gas > 20 feet
100 %O2 < 20 feet

For air/nitrox OC diving I've always managed with a two gas computer, though I can easily envisage finding three useful. For trimix obviously I'd need more. It never troubles me to use tables for tech diving.

A two gas computer will work fine if you are only using backgas and one deco gas. If you are moving to trimix, then a trimix capable computer is what you need. You can't program helium mixes into the Aladin. If you are looking for a trimix computer take a hard look at this one..

Attachments

• Hendleys Castle.jpg
    Hendleys Castle.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 59
The most economical option, at this time, is to stick with what you have.

You can use your current computer in gauge mode and cut your own tables. Maybe consider purchasing some PC dive planning software (v-planner, GAP etc) and have some fun cutting custom tables for your recreational dives. It's great practice in preparation for tech training.

Save your money for a 3 mix and/or trimix computer until you are more aware of your future requirements. By the time you've done your tech training and got a little post-course experience, you will undoubtably start to have some opinions on different decompression models and algorythms.

Also, by the time you are fully qualified for diving with multiple deco gases and/or trimix, the tech computer market is likely to have evolved considerably...what you may buy now, in anticipation, would be superceded by better options. The tech computer market is quite fast moving..and technology is improving all the time.

Any multi gas trimix DC will do fine. I would also suggest waiting until you have a better understanding of the type of diving you plan on doing as equipment gets cheaper and better. Popular tech DC include VR3/x, Liquivision X1, Sherwood Predator, Suunto Helo2.

The best option is propper dive/gas planning, bottom timer and the grey stuff between your ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom