2 questions: 1) PLG a/c 2) Photo gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'll be returning to Cozumel in 2 weeks and have a couple questions:

1) PLG A/C

I heard from a recent visitor that the Plaza Las Glorias has been having major problems with their air conditioning. A friend who just returned said his room and about 1/2 the others had no a/c for the entire week he was there. He reported that each day the lobby was full of guests complaining loudly, but nothing was fixed. Some guests were sleeping out by the pool because their rooms were too hot. I know the hotel is closing for renovations at the end of August, and I'm concerned that things are going downhill as that time gets closer.

Does anyone have any current info on this situation? I've got reservations there in 2 weeks but am seriously considering changing.

2) Strobes

I have an digital camera w/ underwater housing and a strobe with arm. However, I need a base plate to hold it all together. I'm having no luck in my hometown or on-line. Can anyone recommend a good shop in Cozumel for underwater photographic equipment?
Thank you!

Tony

scubacoz:

1) PLG A/C

I heard from a recent visitor that the Plaza Las Glorias has been having major problems with their air conditioning. A friend who just returned said his room and about 1/2 the others had no a/c for the entire week he was there. He reported that each day the lobby was full of guests complaining loudly, but nothing was fixed. Some guests were sleeping out by the pool because their rooms were too hot. I know the hotel is closing for renovations at the end of August, and I'm concerned that things are going downhill as that time gets closer.

Does anyone have any current info on this situation? I've got reservations there in 2 weeks but am seriously considering changing.

Can't help you with the stobe question, but I was at the PLG a couple of weeks ago, and they were definitely having problems with the A/C. In fact, the day we left (July 19), they were shutting down the entire system for about 8 hours for "routine maintenance". My room was okay (as long as the fan was running) but I heard a lot of other guests complaining about the A/C or lack of.

As mentioned in other threads, the PLG is shutting down at the end of August until December 24 for a major overhaul, so I wouldn't expect them to be doing a whole lot of work on maintenance. (New owners are refurbishing the place, apparently to become an all-inclusive resort.)

Whether you change your reservation or not is up to you, but there are a lot of hotels on the island and the rates aren't going to be too bad, considering the time of year.

Contact Ryan of Underwater Camera Pros on this email address rc@ryancanon.com

He will be able to help with the base plate etc for your system. He's fabulous. But tell him that you need it ASAP so he can get it out right away to you. Say hi from alcina down under :)

scubacoz:

1) PLG A/C

2) Strobes

I have an digital camera w/ underwater housing and a strobe with arm. However, I need a base plate to hold it all together. I'm having no luck in my hometown or on-line. Can anyone recommend a good shop in Cozumel for underwater photographic equipment?
Thank you!

Tony

Hi Tony, I will also be in Cozumel in two weeks, 8/15 to 8/22. I can't comment on PLG but I can tell you that Costco travel Has a pretty good deal to the ElCozumeleno which is an all inclusive resort. The price was 290 per person double occ. for adults for 5 nights if you don't need airport transfers and 316 per person if you want airport transfers. Extra nights are about 120 per night. Kids under 12 stay and eat for free. Check it out at costco.com.
Take Care
Aquaman40

scubacoz:

1) PLG A/C

2) Strobes

Thank you!

Tony

Scubacoz,

I would like to speak to this friend of yours that said that he knows in fact that half of the air conditioners at Plaza Las Glorias are not working. That would be 87 of the 174 suites that I assume have individual units in each room. I think that if I had no air conditioning in July, I'd go to another hotel and get my money back before I'd sleep outside by the pool for a whole week. This place costs close to $100.00 a night, I know because I'm staying there for 9 days, and 8 nights and we're going to be there in 6 days. I called them direct from my home last night and talked to the reservation agent on duty who told me that they have no problems with air conditioning. I am also calling Padi Travel who booked this place for me and will ask them to check everything out. I looked this place (PLG) over very closely in May while I was staying at El Cid La Ceiba and chose it because it looked like a darn nice place. I'll be there this Saturday (August 7th) and report on it when I return August 15th.

divematt:
Scubacoz,

I would like to speak to this friend of yours that said that he knows in fact that half of the air conditioners at Plaza Las Glorias are not working. That would be 87 of the 174 suites that I assume have individual units in each room. I think that if I had no air conditioning in July, I'd go to another hotel and get my money back before I'd sleep outside by the pool for a whole week. This place costs close to $100.00 a night, I know because I'm staying there for 9 days, and 8 nights and we're going to be there in 6 days. I called them direct from my home last night and talked to the reservation agent on duty who told me that they have no problems with air conditioning. I am also calling Padi Travel who booked this place for me and will ask them to check everything out. I looked this place (PLG) over very closely in May while I was staying at El Cid La Ceiba and chose it because it looked like a darn nice place. I'll be there this Saturday (August 7th) and report on it when I return August 15th.

for what it's worth, every complaint I have heard from people staying at PLG includes (not limited to) an AC problem in the room. Don't let a fresh paint job and a remodeled lobby fool you. People have been complaining about PLG for the last few years at how run down it is. I would not imagine that they are going out of their way at this point to fix things before it undergoes major renovations. Just food for thought.

contact Holly Alentado at island photo-video center at the La Cieba hotel complex, she's the only full service photo shop on the island and will be able to help I'm sure. contact her by e-mail before going and she could maybe have you set up before you get there.
e-mail: photocoz@cozumel.net
she's a wonderful person and if she can help I know she will.
best wishes,
sharky

scubacoz:

1) PLG A/C

2) Strobes

Thank you!

Tony

scubacoz:
1) PLG A/C

I just got back from Cozumel a couple hours ago. PLG was nice, the room we had was cool, only time there was a problem with the AC was when we left either the front door or the patio door open then the warm humid air came in. We had 5 other rooms there and I didn't hear complaints on the AC from any of them so my experience at PLG was a good one. The food at the onsite restraurant was good. Have fun and enjoy. I didn't want to come home. Got in 15 dives while I was there.

2) Strobes

Thank you!

Tony

For photography equipment, go see Holly at Island Photo at the La Ciba/ El Cid. She was very helpful while we were there and her husband does video and photography for the Discovery Channel and the Travel Channel. They are very knowledgeable and helpfull. Holly is originally from Colorado so speaks English and will go out of her way to help you. Tell Holly that Danny from Dallas sent you over to see her.

Hope this helps.

Danny

TX, I'm glad that you had no air conditioning problems but I got more bad news and emails from those who had bad experiences so I switched to Caribe Blu at the last minute. I hope I have no trouble getting my money back!

I had everything figured out from Plaza Las GLorias, so...

OK all of you Caribe Blu fans, you're the reason that I changed, there's a zillion of you, what do I need to know about the place?
Do they have a pier for dive pick up?
Do they have decent shore diving?
Where's the nearest place to rent a tank for an afternoon shore dive?
What's the nearest "walk to" restaurant for a quick breakfast or lunch? I need no help for dinner, Casa Denis is waiting!

Thanks,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom