200 BAR DIN vs 300 BAR DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

200 bar DIN connections have 5 threads and 300 bar DIN connections have 7 threads.

The deeper 300 bar DIN valve is intended to prevent the shorter 200 bar DIN conenction from seating to prevent a 200 bar reg not rated for 300 bar pressures frombeing connected to a 300 bar tank.

Practically speaking, the vast majority of modern regs will handle 3500-3600 psi just fine and full 300 bar pressures (4350 psi) are seldom seen in the US. Also, the shorter 5 thread 200 bar Din conenction is still more than strong enough for 300 bar pressures (again the idea with the 300 bar valve was to make it deeper, not stronger.) So 200 bar DIN valves are very common on 3442-3500 psi tanks.

Can someone tell me the difference. The instructor that I spoke to for my tech class is telling me I cant use my DIN 1ST stage because its 200 BAR.

do you actually have a 200 bar DIN 1st here in the States? Highly unusual. What is the make/brand/model of reg?

Can someone tell me the difference. The instructor that I spoke to for my tech class is telling me I cant use my DIN 1ST stage because its 200 BAR.

You really have a 200 bar din 1st stage?

Here is another more technical reference:

http://www.diverite.com.au/images/pdf/Difference200and300bar.pdf

1 Bar = 14.503773773 PSI
200 Bar = 2,900.75 PSI
240 Bar = 3,480.91 PSI
300 Bar = 4,351.13 PSI
450 Bar = 6,526.70 PSI

It is unfortunate that the US uses the terms 200 and 300 Bar DIN for DIN (Deutsches Institut Für Normung) 477 No. 13 and No. 56 (formerly No. 50). You can buy, and safely use, a 200 Bar DIN connector on a regulator rated for 3,480 PSI/240 Bar in the US,. It is safe because DIN 477 No 13 is rated for test pressures up to 300 Bar.

The bad part is you can also buy a regulator with a 300 Bar DIN connector in the US, but very few first stages are rated by the manufacturer to deliver stable IP pressures or operate without excessive high pressure seat wear at that pressure. BTW, the DIN 477 No. 56 is rated for up to 450 Bar test pressures.

There are not a lot of 300 Bar or 4,351 PSI cylinders in the US, but some of us travel with our regulators to places that do use them — mostly Scandinavia and Northern Europe. Most people would reasonably think their 300 Bar DIN regulator would work just fine on a 300 Bar cylinder.

do you actually have a 200 bar DIN 1st here in the States? Highly unusual. What is the make/brand/model of reg?

Not really sure, when I bought my reg I was told that a DIN is a DIN and that there was no diff between them. When I talk to a local tech instructor he told me that my reg was a 200 BAR DIN and that I would need a 300 BAR DIN. My reg is the Zeagle DSV-ZX. I was also told that if it had 7 threads it was 300 BAR and if it had 5 threads it was 200 BAR. If im counting them right I have 8 threads. Can someone tell me if I have a 200 BAR or a 300 BAR? Thanks.

Not really sure, when I bought my reg I was told that a DIN is a DIN and that there was no diff between them. When I talk to a local tech instructor he told me that my reg was a 200 BAR DIN and that I would need a 300 BAR DIN. My reg is the Zeagle DSV-ZX. I was also told that if it had 7 threads it was 300 BAR and if it had 5 threads it was 200 BAR. If im counting them right I have 8 threads. Can someone tell me if I have a 200 BAR or a 300 BAR? Thanks.

With "8" threads you have a 300bar reg.

Another way to tell is to put it on a 300bar valve, if it seals its 300bar. A 200bar reg won't have enough threads to even seal on a 300bar valve.

If your tech instructor is getting something this basic incorrect, ask him to explain where he's getting this from. Maybe he glanced at it too fast or something. If the explanation doesn't make sense or is convoluted, you might consider another instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom