200 BAR DIN vs 300 BAR DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a single photo showing 200 and 300 bar valves and regulator threads (I think it should be obvious which is which); hopefully this lets you square away exactly what you have:

YDjTV.jpg

I guess im having a hard time understanding the real difference between the two. Beside the number of threads what is different about a 200 or 300 bar valve. Are the 300's just put on HP tanks?

Ah, I see what you mean. I'd start by reading the PDF that Akimbo posted above. For all intents and purposes, 200bar and 300bar perform exactly the same function, at the same level of sufficiency. The only difference between the two are the number of threads, and the only reason why the number of threads are different is in order to make it so that 200bar regulators cannot be inserted into a 300bar valve. The extra threads on a 300bar system are in reality not necessary for "HP" (~3,500 psi) pressures.

You'll "typically" see HP steels ship with 300 bar valves, while LP steels and AL tanks come with 200bar. Virtually all DIN regulators sold today will be 300bar, so that's not a consideration. However, I've seen the same tanks in the LDS side by side with yoke, 200 and 300bar valves, so it really doesn't mean anything.

I personally dislike 300 valves because they're more exposed and easily damaged than 200bar, they take longer to screw in, and they're incompatible with "yoke plugs" that allow you to use a yoke regulator on the valve. Also, in the rare instance you actually find a 200bar DIN regulator, it won't work on a 300bar valve. In the end, some of my tank valves are 200bar, some are 300bar. They all see high pressures (3000-3500 psi) and I see no reason to take any time, effort or money to change them out to standardize on one or the other.

Don't be surprised that some part of the 300 bar connection (say, 1st stage) isn't screwed in, since the length is longer than the 200 bar valve. And don't worry, none of the air will leak.

In the end, some of my tank valves are 200bar, some are 300bar. They all see high pressures (3000-3500 psi) and I see no reason to take any time, effort or money to change them out to standardize on one or the other.

I've got a silly question. If regulator has 300 bar DIN fitting does it means that it can handle true 300 bar working pressure?

If your instructor cannot distinguish between the two thread sets, I would reconsider taking a class from him.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom