$2000 Camera Rig - help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our friends at Inon have brought out a new mount base for the Canon housings, called the LD?!?!

INON NEWS: Accessory for 28LD Mount

From this information it appears like you can attach a UWL-H100 28LD with the provided mount base to give you supposedly wide angle photography. That's all I can say.

I'm by no means an expert -- in fact, I'm in the process of trying to decide on my first serious UW photography setup. I'm a serious amateur photographer on land (2 DSLRs, 8 lenses including 3 Ls), but UW photography is a whole different ballgame. I've bought a book, read numerous web articles, and went over more forum postings than I could count, and I'm only BEGINNING to understand how everything fit together.

Unlike SLR/DSLR lenses which are designed from Day 1 to fit a specific mount and to be mounted right in front of the sensor (with no more optics in between), "wet lenses" are VERY different:
- they are almost always mounted in front of another lens (the camera's built-in lens)
- depending on the mounting hardware, the distance between the wet lens and the camera's built-in lens can vary a lot. This can drastically affect the image quality. Just think back at when you hold a magnifier in front of your eye -- you can move the magnifier closer or farther and still produce an image, but at some point, the image starts to become distorted.
- land photography at most involves 2 manufacturers (e.g. having a Sigma lens mounted to a Canon DSLR), and even then, Sigma would have already thought carefully about the mounting to Canon cameras BEFORE it releases the product
- mounting wet lenses often involve multiple manufacturers, and each component was NOT designed with a final assembly in mind. E.g. in Nemrod's setup, his camera is a Canon S90, designed mainly for land use. His Inon UFE-165AD lens was designed (and sold) before the S90 was even conceptualized by Canon. Then came the housing, made by yet another manufacturer called Fisheye (FIX). But to fit all the pieces together, 2 more pieces of hardware (one 67mm-to-AD adaptor and one DIY adaptor allowing the FIX port to be attached to the 67mm end of the first adaptor). He chose this particular setup because it allows the Inon wet lens to be mounted as close to the FIX housing as possible -- optimizing image quality in the process.

There are others who also use a S90 and Inon UFE-165AD, but because they bought the Canon housing instead, different hardware pieces are needed (e.g. an INON AD base) to allow everything to fit together. They still fit, but the optical performance will not be as good, since the distance between the wet lens and the front of the camera lens is much larger than in Nemrod's setup.

I am not even going to start talking about vignetting (which necessitates either zooming in or cropping later) and how that can change the angle of view of the wet lenses.

In short, if you don't have the patience to do your homework, and have money to burn, just buy whatever combo stores put together for you. On the other hand, if you want the best performance (or spend the least amount of money, or to tailor your setup to your shooting style), be ready to do some reading and figuring out how to build your own underwater Frankenstein.

Good luck either way.

:D

I wouldn't recommend anyone try to assemble their own design of camera/housing until they have owned some commercial ones first. Probably not then either.

Looks very interesting. Much larger sensor than the S90/95, and good price ($1725). Do you know anything about its performance?
Well, I know this is the Canon forum, but the Olympus E-PL1 is just a natural upgrade path for folks who have been using Canon P&S cameras.
There are plenty of reviews of it around. Scott has one on his site at Olympus E-PL1 Review|Underwater Photography Guide

My personal experience with it in October at Sipadan was great. I found it to be a joy to operate and I liked the results. It was my first time using it and I made some mistakes but overall it was much better than the G9 / Ike setup I had been using. The sensor size in the G9 that I still use as a backup (in a canon housing) is the same as the G12 & S95. The E-PL1 has a many times bigger sensor and is the same one used in the Olympus DSLRs. What that means is that you get much much better dynamic range than the P&S cameras, even from a great company like canon. You get better ISO performance and you get better overall performance.
Some people have noticed a lag in the kit lens focusing, but I never noticed it and it was way better than the G9.

If you want to see other reviews and discussions about it on SB, you can find them in the Olympus forum. I have some reviews there.
It's the cheapest way to get into a relatively compact DSLR level quality system for less than $2K.

Didn't know there was an Olympus forum.....

Just a thought.
Much better option than s95 in my opinion.

There is no doubt that the larger sensor of the E-PL1 has many advantages:
- higher resolution at base ISO
- much better performance at higher ISOs
- good dynamic range: about 9 stops (ISO 200 better than ISO 100)

However, some of the comments (albeit by land photographers) concern me:
- "Stepping in to fill this void is the Olympus E-PL1, a camera that brings a stripped-down body and simplified interface to the Micro Four Thirds format. This means no control dials (and therefore an awful lot of button-pressing the further away from the automated exposure modes you venture)"
- "Its simplified, button-press based interface dictates that it'll be best suited to compact camera users who want to get better photos straight away and learn about things such as apertures in their own time. Experienced users who regularly want to take control of individual shooting parameters are likely to find themselves frustrated by the sheer amount of button-pressing induced by the loss of control dials."

On the other hand, the S90/S95 are well praised for their front & back dials (provided that one splurges for the more expensive FIX/RecSea housings).

I guess I need to see how big the E-PL1 setup (including housing) is. If I'm going to sacrifice underwater lens interchangeability and compactness/portability, I might as well start looking for a housing for my 7D or 400D....

:idk:

>> but UW photography is a whole different ballgame.

>> I guess I need to see how big the E-PL1 setup (including housing) is. If I'm going to sacrifice underwater lens interchangeability and compactness/portability, I might as well start looking for a housing for my 7D or 400D....

Compacts like the S95, mirrorless cameras like the E-PL1 and dSLR's all have their pluses and minuses, there is no best choice. What's best for a person depends on their budget, personality, photography goals, etc.

All can take great shots, and all have limitations. Good luck with your choices! It's fun seeing the different choices being debated :) I've been shooting all 3 systems lately, so feel free to call with any questions.

Scott

There is no doubt that the larger sensor of the E-PL1 has many advantages:
- higher resolution at base ISO
- much better performance at higher ISOs
- good dynamic range: about 9 stops (ISO 200 better than ISO 100)

However, some of the comments (albeit by land photographers) concern me:
- "Stepping in to fill this void is the Olympus E-PL1, a camera that brings a stripped-down body and simplified interface to the Micro Four Thirds format. This means no control dials (and therefore an awful lot of button-pressing the further away from the automated exposure modes you venture)"
- "Its simplified, button-press based interface dictates that it'll be best suited to compact camera users who want to get better photos straight away and learn about things such as apertures in their own time. Experienced users who regularly want to take control of individual shooting parameters are likely to find themselves frustrated by the sheer amount of button-pressing induced by the loss of control dials."

On the other hand, the S90/S95 are well praised for their front & back dials (provided that one splurges for the more expensive FIX/RecSea housings).

I guess I need to see how big the E-PL1 setup (including housing) is. If I'm going to sacrifice underwater lens interchangeability and compactness/portability, I might as well start looking for a housing for my 7D or 400D....

:idk:
What camera settings do you frequently change U/W that have you concerned?

Dialing in an aperture or shutter speed is as simple as pressing the up arrow then hitting the up and down arrows to change shutter speed or the left and right arrows to adjust aperture. It's really easy, intuitive and quick. You have immediate access to most functions by pressing the set button. Again, this isn't hard or onerous.
Mostly , when shooting manual, you will be dialing in your strobe rather than the camera and even then, you aren't going to be changing much from shot to shot.
Really, just get your hands on one and try it.
I shoot a Canon T2i, G9 and the E-PL1 on land and I have never missed a shot because of the controls.

Hey this camera and housing cost a lot less than any other dslr level rigs that I am aware of. It may not meet your requirements because you prefer to twist rather than press, but it works pretty well U/W. If I moved to house my T2i then it wouldn't be because it has one more dial than the E-PL1.

BTW, the E-PL1 housing is about the same size as the Ikelite G9 housing and a lot lighter. It's a lot smaller than the DSLR Ike housings.
If you already have a 7D and a 400, then you may be happy with a housing for those, but it isn't going to cost less than $500 even without a port.
They are all options that need to be compared, but I think the extra dial thing wouldn't be an issue for most people.

My main concern currently over (micro) two thirds is lens availability and price. It seems to me (I don't have one so haven't researched in depth) that you can quickly exceed the cost of a low end DSLR once you buy a few lenses. And in any case once you have several lenses you've lost the key benefit of portability. I have a G10 and a couple of DSLRs, and nothing I've seen so far makes me want to venture into either two thirds format.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom