2006 Olympics thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat:
I can think of a great Olympic tape measuring event....errr, never mind.

I think the skinsuits obviate the need for a tape measure.

Back to curling. I like watching it, I just can't believe it really meets the whole Citius, Altius, Fortius thing. OTOH, I looked up the sports in the first WInter Olympics (Chamonix 1924) and guess what? Curling was one of the original sports - along with biathlon, bobsleigh, cross-country skiing, figure skating, hockey, nordic combined, ski jumping and speed skating. Curling (along with biathlon) didn't make the cut for 1928, although they added skeleton of all things.

Alex

On second thought, maybe the WINTER Olympics is a little too cold. :ice:

The summer games might make for more acurrate measurements.:wink:

Congratulations to Poland's Tomasz Sikora for his silver medal in the Men's 15km Biathlon, his country's first-ever medal in the event.

C_3_photogallery_215_photos_foto_12_imagebig.jpg

so Olympics TV question here.

in the US, the Olympics is on NBC.. For the actual events (not the interviews) such as skiing, etc, does each country or network have it's own cameras set up or is there one central "common pool" of video feed that each country feeds off of on what to show on TV?

Someone told me that NBC was doing all the event filming at this olympics, but I'm not sure if that's right. If so, what do they do, sell the feed to other networks/countries?

Now I know that each country/network has it's own crews for interviews, commentary in their language, etc... but I meant the actual event filming in the above questions.

I know NBC had quite a crew there, but I believe there is an international feed that each broadcaster has the option of using at times.

I'm already going through Winter Olympics withdrawl. Anything any good on TV tonight?

1) Well done, NIKE....once again, you've proven you should change your corporate name to Hype, Inc. Your boy, Bode Miller, did ya proud, didn't he? He's coming home with more gold than a prospector, isn't he? What? He isn't?? No, of course not! He's all talk and no show. Let's face it -- he said two years ago he had no interest in the Winter Olympics and, boy, was it apparent. He did get to party and rock, though, so it wasn't all for naught. I didn't think anyone could look more foolish than Reebok and its ill-fated campaign for "Dan and Dave" prior to the 1992 Summer Olympics, when Dan O'Brien failed to even qualify for the Olympic team. O'Brien returned four years later and ripped the world record for the decathlon to pieces. Expecting Bode to return in four years and make amends in Vancouver? I'm thinking by 2010, everyone will be saying, "Bode who??"

2) The United States finished with 25 total medals, including nine gold medals. It's the most medals we've ever won at an Olympics that were held outside the U.S. Impressive, right? Well, let's hold on a second. Let's subtract the medals won by the athletes from the Winter X Games and let's see what we have left -- just five gold medals and 14 total medals. Kind of puts a little damper on our performances, doesn't it? Except for Ted Ligety's win in the Combined, our men's alpine skiing team was a total flop. The women were not any better, either, returning with only one medal themselves, Julia Mancuso's win in the Giant Slalom (BTW, memo to Julia -- lose the tiara). Don't get me wrong -- I'm proud of the performances our Winter X Games athletes turned in. But frankly, I don't see why these events are being included in the Winter Olympics. They should stay right where they are, in the Winter X Games. Same for short-track speed skating, which is little more than Roller Derby on ice.

3) OK, Canada's showing in men's ice hockey was rather embarassing, by Canadian standards, but their showing was still better than ours was. If their record was embarassing, ours was humiliating. One win, one draw and four losses. ONE win! And we even struggled to get a draw with Latvia! If this is the best we can do after all this time, hockey in the U.S. is in BIG trouble. The NHL is having a hard enough time winning back the fans it lost during the work stoppage. One win in the Olympics with NHL players is not going to help that struggle a lot.

4) Raise your hand if you think we got played for fools by Chad Hedrick and Shani Davis. The media led us to believe these two were blood rivals, but as it turned out, they were probably playing possum all along. I have to wonder how much of their "rivalry" was real animosity and how much was just an act. Now, ask me again why I miss the newspaper business...

5) While Canada might have been disappointing in men's hockey, its overall team showing was remarkable. Canadians will bring home more medals (7-10-7=24) to the Great White North than at any previous Olympics, Winter or Summer. They will definitely be a force to be reckoned with in four years, when Vancouver hosts the Winter Olympics. Tres bien, Canada!

6) Last, but certainly not least, Italy hosted the Winter Olympics with the efficiency of a Ferrari. The Italians were warm and gracious hosts and they cheered the best ever showing for their country in Winter Olympic history with the same fervor that they do their soccer teams. Molte Grazie, Italia -- thanks for a wonderful Olympics!

mike_s:
so Olympics TV question here.

in the US, the Olympics is on NBC.. For the actual events (not the interviews) such as skiing, etc, does each country or network have it's own cameras set up or is there one central "common pool" of video feed that each country feeds off of on what to show on TV?

Someone told me that NBC was doing all the event filming at this olympics, but I'm not sure if that's right. If so, what do they do, sell the feed to other networks/countries?

Now I know that each country/network has it's own crews for interviews, commentary in their language, etc... but I meant the actual event filming in the above questions.

Mike, please repeat after me, THERE IS NO FILMING IN TV. Thank you. We use video cameras and video tape and in some cases cool hard drive based boxes.

NBC buys a pool feed and adds to it with their own facilities. Some events, like a minor sport or something the US is not good at, NBC would probably take a "clean", graphics free, feed from the host broadcaster. For figure skating or other high profile events NBC may have done their own production. I believe CBC, from Canada, was responsible for producing the men's hockey for the host broadcaster. Since my contacts have not gotten home from Italy yet, I do not know if NBC was hired to produce any events for the host broadcaster. If they were, they then had to do two feeds, one with international graphics for any pool feed takers, the other for NBC to use.

Back
Top Bottom