2009 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whenever you have a game like that which is well in hand, I always question the wisdom of keeping your stars in the game. I worry too many coaches try to pad the numbers for the Heisman (not accusing Urban Meyer of this necessarily, but either way, I bet he wishes he had yanked Tebow earlier with hindsight).

I worry too many coaches try to pad the numbers for the Heisman .
To quote Tebow "Ride this horse!"

Tebow wants to play AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!! It has nothing to do with the Heisman and that's what makes him so dangerous: he's having fun!

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Tebow will be alright, but probably a good thing they have a bye next weekend. I cannot believe the Gamecocks did not break the Top 25, when there are tons of teams there that do not belong after this weekend's performances.

I figured the bye/buy week would help them recover as it seems a lot of the team has the flu, etc.

yeah. the Top 25 is based on record, but is a popularity contest also. One of the reasons that Florida is ranked at the top with such a wimpy schedule. (partly because they were national champs last year also and started that way in the preseason).

but ESPN did a piece this past weekend as to why one analyst there thinks for example that Alabama should be #1 because they have played better and played tougher teams. He was basing it on what he saw on the field and not just that they won a bunch of easy games.

Another thing is that the top 25 has 14 of the 25 teams have lost a game. Then you've got teams that have lost none that are unranked. go figure. :shakehead:

Auburn is 4-0 and they are not ranked. (they had poor pre season predictions, but seem to be surpassing all of those). Yet Georgia and Mississippi are ranked when each have losses. Go figure.

To quote Tebow "Ride thie horse!"

Tebow wants to play AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!! It has nothing to do with the Heisman and that's what makes him so dangerous: he's having fun!

I've got to agree that I dont' think his driving force is the Heisman.

Posted via Mobile Device

that thing is so lame.... can't you fix that so it doesn't automatically show up? (I mean who gives a rats ass if you or anyone else is mobile or not?)

anyway... here's the TOP 25 for the week

AP Top 25

1 Florida
2 Texas
3 Alabama
4 LSU
5 Boise State
6 Virginia Tech
7 USC
8 Oklahoma
9 Ohio State
10 Cincinnati
11 TCU
12 Houston
13 Iowa
14 Oklahoma State
15 Penn State
16 Oregon
17 Miami (FL)
18 Kansas
18 Georgia
20 Brigham Young
21 Mississippi
22 Michigan
23 Nebraska
24 California
25 Georgia Tech

One of the reasons that Florida is ranked at the top with such a wimpy schedule.

AP Top 25

1 Florida
2 Texas
3 Alabama
4 LSU
5 Boise State
6 Virginia Tech
7 USC
8 Oklahoma
9 Ohio State
10 Cincinnati
11 TCU
12 Houston
13 Iowa
14 Oklahoma State
15 Penn State
16 Oregon
17 Miami (FL)
18 Kansas
18 Georgia
20 Brigham Young
21 Mississippi
22 Michigan
23 Nebraska
24 California
25 Georgia Tech
For such a "wimpy" schedule, they still have to play #4, #18 and #21. They will also probably play # 3 for the SEC. Sure, it's wimpy compared to Florida standards, but it's not a wimpy schedule.

Hightower out for the season with knee injury
Hightower to have surgery on damaged knee ligaments

bilde

Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower (30) is helped off the field after a first quarter injury against Arkansas at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala on Sept. 26, 2009. Alabama won the game 35-7.

By Chase Goodbread Sports Writer
Published: Monday, September 28, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, September 28, 2009 at 12:13 a.m.

TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama linebacker Dont’a Hightower has knee ligament damage that will require surgery, and is expected to miss the remainder of the season following an injury suffered in a 35-7 win over Arkansas on Saturday.

“Dont’a Hightower’s MRI confirmed that he has ligament damage in his knee that will require surgery,” UA coach Nick Saban said in a release. “Dont’a is a fine young man, has been an outstanding player for us, and we are confident he will make a full recovery.”

Hightower was injured near the end of the first quarter when his left knee collided with Razorbacks senior guard Mitch Petrus. Following the game, Saban said the initial prognosis was “not good,” and Sunday’s MRI confirmed the bad news for the sophomore from Lewisburg, Tenn. Hightower entered the game as Alabama’s third-leading tackler with 14 stops on the season, including four for losses, while primarily playing the weakside linebacker position. Hightower also played a role at defensive end as a pass rusher, and was credited with two assisted tackles Saturday prior to the injury.

He was unavailable for comment Sunday.

On Saturday, Saban called Hightower “one of our best football players on our entire team. The best pass-rusher we have, a very good linebacker, plays in nickel, athletic, size, and I hate to see any player get hurt, ever. But that one there is a good one.”

Hightower’s loss deals a blow to a Crimson Tide defense which ranks No. 2 in the nation in rushing defense (42.25 yards per game), No. 2 in total defense (202.5 ypg), and No. 13 in scoring defense (13.0 points per game). Though only a sophomore, he was making his 16th career start against the Razorbacks and is a centerpiece for a defense that returned eight starters. The Crimson Tide posted its most impressive defensive effort of the season against the Arkansas despite playing without Hightower for three quarters, limiting quarterback Ryan Mallett to 12-of-35 passing and allowing only 203 total yards.

Hightower was carted off the field before halftime, but rejoined his teammates on the sideline, using crutches, for the end of the Crimson Tide’s first Southeastern Conference victory of the season. He was injured on a second-down play while trying to avoid a cut block from Petrus, and was replaced in the lineup by sophomore Courtney Upshaw. The Alabama coaching staff moved senior Cory Reamer to Hightower’s weakside position, moved senior Eryk Anders to Reamer’s normal position on the strong side, and inserted Upshaw to replace Anders at the ‘Jack’ linebacker spot. Junior Rolando McClain, the team’s leading tackler, remained at his middle linebacker position.

“When Dont’a went down, I had to step in and be the Jack in regular, and come in on rabbits,” Upshaw said after the game.

It remains unclear whether the lineup adjustments made Saturday in Hightower’s absence will continue as the season moves forward. Alabama faces Kentucky (2-1, 0-1 SEC) next week for an 11:20 a.m. kickoff in Lexington, Ky.

Hightower is the second player for the Crimson Tide (4-0, 1-0 SEC) to be lost for the season to a knee injury, joining reserve running back Jeramie Griffin, who was injured during fall camp. Hightower earned Freshman All-SEC honors in 2008, starting 12 of Alabama’s 14 games at weakside linebacker and contributing 64 tackles and a pair of fumble recoveries for one of the nation’s top defensive units.

“(Hightower’s) such a great player it’s really hard to replace him with all the different things that he does, but the depth that we have now makes it a little bit easier to adjust to something like that,” Reamer said after the game. “We had guys stepping up and really filling roles like we needed them to.”

Gotta say, if they started voting today ignoring all pre-season "guesses" as to who would be good and who wouldn't - I reckon they vote Alabama as #1.

Their win over Virginia Tech looks more and more impressive each day - they are just a solid team.

Yeah.... I would say after watching Florida play this year and Alabama, that Alabama hands down is playing better. I would rank them #1.

not sure who would win in a head to head match though. It will be a damn good game this year in Atlanta. I still think that Bama will have a very hard time beating Florida in the end. but it's doable after watching FL play Tenn. very doable.

I haven't watch #2 Texas play enough this year to render an opinion on them yet.

I suspect Texas are quite good this year (as opposed to last year, when I maintain they were overrated - lucky to beat OU and lucky to beat OSU). But like you, I am reserving judgment.

The team I am really annoyed about is Boise State. I just don't believe they could stand up to any serious team, but I could see a situation where they are undefeated and highly ranked, and sneak into the BCS title game if all the other contenders have at least one loss. I have a feeling that a lot of BCS-bashers amongst the AP voters would love to see a non-Big 6 team in there, and they may decide that this is the year, dang-it.

well I also believe that the media is pushing Florida, Myer, Tebow too much. but they have a tendency to grab onto someone and worship them. (I mean look how the media reacts/reacted to Obama)

I mean when Tebow got KO'd the other night, all the other football games had to cut mid game coverage to Tebow mania coverage....

Back
Top Bottom