2009 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I expect the SEC Championship game in Atlanta will be Bama vs Gators again.

Ole Miss could throw a wrench in that as you are pointing out above.

Of course Auburn change all that if they beat Bama, Ole Miss and LSU, but I'm not putting any money on that as it's a long shot.

Im not sure which way to go on the Bama/Ole Miss game yet. I think it will be a close game.

I think Auburn might have chance at beating 1 of those 3 maybe 2 if they get lucky but not all of them. I think Auburn can beat LSU and maybe Ole Miss.

We're gonna hafta agree to agree here... I fully expect Florida, Bama or Ole Miss to be the National Champs this year. Any of us could beat the other on the right day. I am hoping that we don't each defeat each other in a way that allows for some other school to play for the supreme spot. Three of the top five are SEC teams. You've got to love that. :D

That being said, I think Florida has the talent edge on the other two. Not insurmountable, but it's there. I can't ever remember us being ranked #1 so early or for so long. I kinda like it!

It just depends upon the regular season. If the SEC beats themselves up, and OU beats Texas, we could end up with Boise State vs Penn State.

I am sure that would cause no controversey at all...

We're gonna hafta agree to agree here... I fully expect Florida, Bama or Ole Miss to be the National Champs this year. Any of us could beat the other on the right day. I am hoping that we don't each defeat each other in a way that allows for some other school to play for the supreme spot. Three of the top five are SEC teams. You've got to love that. :D

:thumb:

That being said, I think Florida has the talent edge on the other two. Not insurmountable, but it's there. I can't ever remember us being ranked #1 so early or for so long. I kinda like it!

well Tebow is in his senior year... so that could change soon.

Tennessee showed that Florida offense could be held back. (they just couldn't do it the entire game.) Ole Miss beat Florida last year. Like you said, any could beat the other on the right day.

You think Tebow will get the heisman this year? (I think he's got a chance. He will definately beat Herschel's record for touchdowns this year).

You think Tebow will get the heisman this year? (I think he's got a chance. He will definately beat Herschel's record for touchdowns this year).

He must have a good shot at a "career achievement" Heisman, even if he doesn't have a spectacular year (see for example Gino Torretta, Ron Dayne, Ty Detmer - seniors who may not have had great years, but had great careers and were being rewarded for it).

The fact that he is such an all around good guy cannot hurt. On pure talent though, Javid Best looks like the front runner at the moment.

I thought he was deserving enough of it last year.... along with the other candidates.

I wonder sometimes if they didn't want to give it to him last year so that he wouldn't end up getting it three years in a row? :popcorn:

It's funny to read Lane Kiffin's quack comments sometimes.

Kiffin defends game plan, takes shot at Meyer
By Beth Rucker
Associated Press Writer

KNOXVILLE — Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin says he put his Vols in the best position they could be in to beat Florida. Then he took one more shot at Gators coach Urban Meyer.

Meyer said Sunday that he kept his game plan conservative in No. 1 Florida’s 23-13 win after he felt the Vols didn’t appear to be playing for a win. He also said several of his players had been hit by the flu.

On Monday, Kiffin said he didn’t want to respond to Meyer’s comment. But asked whether he was worried about the flu also hitting Tennessee, he said: “I don’t know. I guess we’ll wait and after we’re not excited about a performance, we’ll tell you everybody was sick.”

Tennessee (1-2, 0-1 Southeastern Conference) was tagged as a 30-point underdog partly because of Kiffin’s offseason comments about Florida.

The Vols’ first-year coach pledged to sing “Rocky Top” after beating the Gators at the Swamp and accused Meyer of an NCAA violation in trying to hang on to a recruit who eventually joined Kiffin at Tennessee.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive reprimanded Kiffin for the latter and warned all coaches about taking shots at one another.

“This offseason the commissioner made a big deal of renewing vows in terms of what we say about other teams, other coaches and other players” Kiffin said. “Obviously, Urban feels he doesn’t need to follow that. We won’t say anything else.”

Tennessee didn’t play its role in what was supposed to be a Florida blowout.

With 11:37 left in the game and Florida (3-0, 1-0) holding a 23-6 lead, the Vols recovered a fumble by Tim Tebow at their own 2. Kiffin turned to running backs Montario Hardesty and Bryce Brown to pound out runs and catch short passes.

That’s where Meyer felt Kiffin wasn’t concern about winning.

“They wanted to shorten the game. I remember looking out there and there’s 10 minutes left in the game and there’s no no-huddle, they are down, I think it was 23-6 and (there’s no) urgency,” he said.

Kiffin said he preferred to turn to his tailbacks, who had little trouble moving the chains against the Gators’ defense, rather than the Vols’ struggling passing game.

It worked. Montario Hardesty scored on a 17-yard run with 8:11 left to cut the margin to 23-13.

“That was the best thing to put us in position to win, and we moved the ball doing that,” he said. “That was how we needed to play at that time.”

With about two minutes left in the game and a chance to score, Kiffin gave Jonathan Crompton — who had already thrown one interception — a chance to throw down field to Denarius Moore. The pass was picked off by Ahmad Black for Crompton’s seventh interception of the season.

“People should know the truth. We came out to play,” Moore said. “They said it themselves. They didn’t expect us to come out and play like that. We just played our hardest, and so did they.”

Kiffin said the Vols got beat by Tebow, who made some key scrambling plays in third-and-long situations.

He’d also like another shot at the senior quarterback who he calls “Superman.”

“I wish it was like basketball where we got another chance to play them, where we play them two times in a year,” he said. “Unfortunately, we won’t get to play him again, and they’ll have to play without (Tebow) next time.
”

I thought he was deserving enough of it last year.... along with the other candidates.

I wonder sometimes if they didn't want to give it to him last year so that he wouldn't end up getting it three years in a row? :popcorn:
The pettiness of people never ceases to amaze me!

However, Tebow will probably emerge this year as the most decorated football player in the NCAA ever. Will he go pro? Only if he can make it about religion somehow. I am confident that's why he stayed in school: to have a spiritual impact on those around him.

Have we heard anything about Spike's ankle yet? I would hate to lose our second superstar!

It's funny to read Lane Kiffin's quack comments sometimes.

Kiffin defends game plan, takes shot at Meyer
Did I mention yet that the pettiness of people never ceases to amaze me? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom