2016 Cozumel Tipping Etiquette?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep track if I dive with someone different one day and I'll either chase them down myself or leave them a sealed envelope.
That's a lot of work, more than I would mess with. I do plan ahead enough to take a collection of bills - $1s, $2s, $5s, $10s, $20s, and $50s, then hope my stash is save as I travel and in my room, then before a 2-tank trip - make sure I have a $5, a $10, and a $20 extra beyond my usual spending money so I can tip a minimum $10 for minimum services,* $15 for average, or $20-25 for extraordinary.

My wallet stays fatter as I maintain, inventory, and replenish my collection of US currency plus a collection of Pesos, and then I am concerned about flashing the wallet when I do want to spend or disperse, but no troubles so far. One time 20 years ago I left a backpack in an open jeep while I went to dinner on Saint John, but I learned from that loss. All of this is about as much as I am going to mess with. I see in the news today that some cruise lines are bumping automatic, required tipping required tipping to $50/day/person, and I doubt that the employees get much of that. Just too big of a game.

* A minimum $10 for minimum services sounds extravagant to me, but I try to accept that I am a tightwad and err on the generous side.

My wallet stays fatter as I maintain, inventory, and replenish my collection of US currency plus a collection of Pesos, and then I am concerned about flashing the wallet when I do want to spend or disperse...
I keep only a traveling stash of cash in my wallet and the rest in the safe in my room.

I keep only a traveling stash of cash in my wallet and the rest in the safe in my room.
Me, too. But with dollars & pesos in various denominations, my wallet is fatter than at home.

Simple solution -- leave the dollars in your bank account.:)
We have already discussed that many of us prefer tipping in dollars, and the recipients seem to prefer them.

We have already discussed that many of us prefer tipping in dollars, and the recipients seem to prefer them.

The recipients especially prefer tips in any currency that is worth more today than their local currency will be worth tomorrow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom