2017 Dive Stats and Highlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2017 total 56 dives / 49:38 hours

42 in Canada, 9 of those in Tobermory, most of the balance in the St. Lawrence
11 in Roatan
3 in the Dominican Republic

Milestones:

Dive 300
Deepest dive @ 150 FFW, on the sand diving the wreck of the Forest City off of Tobermory
Longest dive @ 94 minutes

Looking into 2018

First LOB, Red Sea November
Thailand, September

Only 7 dives in 2017 but got certified in June.

4 for class in West Palm Beach
2 off Dania Beach
1 off Pompano Beach

Notes:
• dive #3 in class swam right over 3 sawfish off west palm beach on breakers reef
• dive #5 first after OW spotted a green moray eating a crab (couldn’t tell what kind)
• bought first reg set
• bought first computer
• bought first gauges/compass

2018 will have much more diving hopefully. First outting coming on February 17th. From there should get 2-4 a month atleast.

98 dives in 2017 since purchasing my Perdix in July.
45 Maldives
23 Pulau Weh
12 Sipadan
3 Mabul
8 Perhentian
7 Phuket

36 in 2018 YTD
18 Derawan
14 Lembeh
4 Tulemben

First time in 3 years below 100 dives again, only 83 dives.

UAE: 70
Sri Lanka: 7
Bali: 6

I had issues in Bali after my sixth dive when I perforated my left ear diving the Liberty wreck, and was out of the water for two months :(

Highlights:

Definitely diving HMS Hermes in Sri Lanka
Seeing a Mola Mola on the wreck of the Ines (off Fujairah, UAE)
Photographing lots of nudibranchs
Meeting up and diving with @RainPilot and @ScubaWithTurk during the last week of the year

full.jpg

full.jpg

full

great photos above...thanks for sharing...

this is a great thread!
I bought my Perdix Jan 29 so it registered 28 dives in 2017 but I had 5 in Jan so I did 33 in 2017

32 in drysuit in Vancouver
1 in mexico (we paid for a 2 tank dive but the op forgot to load enough BCDs for the guide so the other other 2 people on the boat decided not to go so my buddy and myself went with the 1 guide and the other guide and couple decided we were heading back after our 1 dive not 2 I was pissed off but I was outvoted.)

highlights were in no particular order
1) saw a giant turtle and manta in mexico and it was a pretty good drift dive.
2) did AOW and nitrox
3) dove the HMCS Annapolis
4) bought a compressor

Pretty good year in 2017.

Started off by arriving in Grand Cayman on New Year's Eve.

10 dives Grand Cayman on 3 sides of the island
12 dives Dominican Republic
Unfortunately 2 week trip to St. Maarten with some diving planned for Saba was cancelled due to hurricanes.

No real highlights but a couple of firsts:
* Threw up through regulator - started as soon as I hit the water after a giant stride. It was on the second of 2 dives and I knew it was building up up during the surface interval - felt so bad, I didn't even take my camera with me, which is unusual. But I still knew it would beat staying on the boat in rough water.
* BC malfunction - BC kept inflating on me starting about halfway through the dive. Had to keep releasing air to stay down. Didn't realize what was happening until on the boat and watching BC magically inflate. Was able to do my last 3 dives on that trip by using the cut-off valve to regulate airflow.

That is almost always caused by a sticking inflator button on the BC. Simply twisting the button usually solves the problem, followed by washing it after the dive.

That is almost always caused by a sticking inflator button on the BC. Simply twisting the button usually solves the problem, followed by washing it after the dive.

Had the sticking button problem (not while diving) when checking gear before last couple of trips. Rinsed with warm water to dissolve salt that I didn't get rinsed off on previous trip - just my guess - but it eliminated the sticking! In this case I had the power inflator button replaced and the cutoff valve repaired. In looking at the old parts, it looked like they needed replaced. Works fine now.

Wow, @jonhall, thanks for bringing up that experience! And thanks @MaxBottomtime too for the solution. I haven't experienced this myself, but it's good to know that something like this /could/ happen and how to fix. I'm just purchasing equipment now (some used) and it's certainly something I'll check before making a dive trip abroad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom