2019 Santi Elite+ Neck Seal Decision Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
Don't know by own experience if the Sitech solution is good or not, but what I heard from buddy's is that it can be restricting while doing a valve drill. It depends on your body build it seems if it's restricting.

It is quite common to run into this comment in the forums. Any poorly fitting dysuit can be restrictive while doing a valve drill, true.
But I'd guess it is more about the fit altogether, because a properly fitting drysuit with a quickneck ring doesn't restrict valve drills or anything else at all. Heck, I have never even noticed the neck ring when underwater. (it does feel a bit uncomfortable when walking wth heavy rig).
Maybe retrofitted quicknecks are causing problems to overall drysuit fit in the upper torso area? Or maybe I just had a very good luck with my Santi.

Maybe retrofitted quicknecks are causing problems to overall drysuit fit in the upper torso area? Or maybe I just had a very good luck with my Santi.
Don't know, but do you dare to try? I decided against the Sitech solution because I do replace a seal myself. It takes a litle more effort, but it's fine for me. Great it worked out for you, it's a nice solution for a nasty problem :thumb:

I just ordered my Elite+ with a Neoprene neck seal. I have used them in the past and enjoyed the warmth and comfort. And, if I don't like it. I will swap it out in the future.

I wouldn't hesitate in getting the sitech neck system put on from the beginning.

I would not even consider buying a Santi suit. Too much trouble from them.

But, I got a Seaskin Nova suit with the Si Tech Quick Neck system with a warm neck option and it is great. No discomfort at any time. I use it with backmount doubles and CCR.

I also got the same Quick Neck system retrofitted to my Waterproof D9X suit. That replaced a standard latex neck seal. No warm neck option on that one. It retrofitted with no problems and the neck on that suit is equally comfortable.

I have never had a neoprene neck seal. My understanding is that it is not unusual for them to leak a little bit, but not badly. But, it is also my understanding they even they need to be replaced periodically. They stretch out over time and/or they can eventually tear beyond what you can repair. That need to replace them every so often is the big reason why I did not get one.

Also, just FYI, I believe you CAN now buy a neoprene neck seal that is replaceable and works with the Si Tech Quick Neck system. That SOUNDS like the best of both worlds, to me. On paper, anyway. I have been really thinking about trying one. It seems like it would be warmer and maybe even more comfortable than silicone. And more durable. The issue with leaking, as I understand it, is that neoprene will sometimes let a trickle of water in, but that is generally only when you turn your head or crane your neck sharply. It's not like they just leak non-stop.

I have Kubi dry glove rings on both my suits and they are also fantastic. In 2.5 years or something like that I have never had a leak from those rings.

Thanks for all the comments. I’m getting the impression neither seal is bad choice as people with neoprene or silicone seem to be happy and stick with their choice without regret.

I take the point about neoprene needing periodic replacement but for the amount I dive I don’t see this getting in the way of my fav hobby (in terms of time without a suit), and the expense probably evens out with replacement silicone seals.

The store is getting a gen1 SiTech for me to try as they’re fitted to their training suits - which will at least give me some idea of comfort, manoeuvrability and fragility of the system vs neoprene. & gen2 - which only seems to improve on this - is available for my suit. One point they did make was that Santi make the neoprene seal to measure which provides some assurance that I would get the best out of it.

At the moment I’m leaning towards silicone though as at least I know I can change it to neoprene easily enough if not happy. My concern is more with the ring than the material so would likely swap out the ring altogether if I went that way.

I have the 2nd gen Quick neck on mine, no complaints, I'm a small guy. Notice it on land a bit but it disappears under water. I'd not get neoprene for one reason only, in general it needs to go back to the shop for repair/replacement.

I would not even consider buying a Santi suit. Too much trouble from them.

But, I got a Seaskin Nova suit with the Si Tech Quick Neck system with a warm neck option and it is great. No discomfort at any time. I use it with backmount doubles and CCR.

I also got the same Quick Neck system retrofitted to my Waterproof D9X suit. That replaced a standard latex neck seal. No warm neck option on that one. It retrofitted with no problems and the neck on that suit is equally comfortable.

I have never had a neoprene neck seal. My understanding is that it is not unusual for them to leak a little bit, but not badly. But, it is also my understanding they even they need to be replaced periodically. They stretch out over time and/or they can eventually tear beyond what you can repair. That need to replace them every so often is the big reason why I did not get one.

Also, just FYI, I believe you CAN now buy a neoprene neck seal that is replaceable and works with the Si Tech Quick Neck system. That SOUNDS like the best of both worlds, to me. On paper, anyway. I have been really thinking about trying one. It seems like it would be warmer and maybe even more comfortable than silicone. And more durable. The issue with leaking, as I understand it, is that neoprene will sometimes let a trickle of water in, but that is generally only when you turn your head or crane your neck sharply. It's not like they just leak non-stop.

I have Kubi dry glove rings on both my suits and they are also fantastic. In 2.5 years or something like that I have never had a leak from those rings.

Take one for the team Stuart and report back. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom