25 Dives since June certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent! Glad to hear you got some good diving in. Keep going as long as your season lets you. I hear it's been hot in So. Cal lately, go cool off under the water.

Safe diving to you.

Lucky for us....the dive season is year-round (a drysuit makes it especially nice, considering the best diving is in the fall / early winter :D)!

That's a really good first summer of diving, hope you have many more.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Nothing makes a diver out of a person better than going diving . . . good for you, that you're getting out that often!

Greetings Selchie and awesome progress and hopefully even more diving determination! As you have already learned as a diver we grow by spending time in the water.
More dives will only continue to move you forward to meeting your diving goals and take you to many awesome locations.
It is amazing the great people who are out there that your diving will put you in contact with. A group of divers together always have fun sharing stories or just talking diving!

Good luck and keep up the great diving!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Dracunos Good Luck and have fun! Will you be diving Laguna for your OW certs? Cute graphic!

I dove there last night, 1st Shaw's then Fisherman's. We started around 3:30 for the 1st dive. When we came out a couple of folks were deciding whether to go in. We all when in and headed towards Fisherman's. I missed the seal must have been looking the other way again! The best was surfacing though because the sun was low on the horizon and lit the clouds up like the sky was on fire!

We're just going to Redondo Beach. Hopefully it's a nice entry.

I heard before the sun sets, but as it gets low in the sky it's really nice to dive because everything looks 'golden'. Hehe, well, I'll just focus on actually getting certified for now :p

Wow Selchie that's some good scuba time. I wish I could have got as many dives in. I find it hard to find dive buddies. I got OW in July 2010 and AOW in Aug 2010. I have 14 dives right now. I want as many as I can by end of the year. Got my own gear and just bought and electric blue tank. I dive Shaws mostly since I'm solo diving most of the time. I dove Yukon, and did lobster hunting in Catalina last Sat for opening of bug season. Any Shore divers avail on Fri and Sat let me know. I need more night dive time. I was very nervous at 80 feet at night solo (bug hunting).

Dennis

Wow Selchie that's some good scuba time. I wish I could have got as many dives in. I find it hard to find dive buddies. I got OW in July 2010 and AOW in Aug 2010. I have 14 dives right now. I want as many as I can by end of the year. Got my own gear and just bought and electric blue tank. I dive Shaws mostly since I'm solo diving most of the time. I dove Yukon, and did lobster hunting in Catalina last Sat for opening of bug season. Any Shore divers avail on Fri and Sat let me know. I need more night dive time. I was very nervous at 80 feet at night solo (bug hunting).

Dennis

Hey Dennis:

All just IMHO....my suggestions are just opinions, take it or leave it:

I noticed your post (actually on my e-mail) and I wanted to contact you. I'm an avid solo diver, and your post above, and some of your comments make me a little nervous for you. As I mentioned, I really do like solo diving, some cringe and some don't. But if I felt nervous at any depth (you reference 80 feet), I wouldn't be solo diving. I can see you're new to diving, and you may want to re-evaluate diving solo, especially at night. There are a lot of new things going on that you are gaining your skills at, and that is what you are supposed to be doing, but not alone. Think about it.

Since I see that you just got your new tank, I'm assuming that you do not have a pony bottle set up yet (tell me if I'm wrong). I don't know anybody that solo dives that doesn't take one. I would suggest a 30 cu.ft. at a minimum. I dive doubles, so I have plenty of backgas, and my slung bailout bottle. That really is what I would consider a minimum to dive alone. Especially at night. Diving solo is all about the redundancy you carry.

I see that you are having a little trouble finding buddies, which can be a frustrating. How about your LDS or a dive club in your area? I'm sure there are some. As I mentioned above, these are just my opinions, from one diver to another. I don't know anyone going solo with 14 dives under their belt.

Safe diving to you.

Hey NC Wreck Diver, Thanks for the info. I was on a dive boat opening night for lobster season at Catalina island. I did pair up with two other divers from the boat. There were 18 divers and 1 DM in the water that night. Anyway, myself and two other divers did our checks and dropped down to the bottom (50') on our way down it turned into a free for all lobster hunt. I saw 17 divers go in different directions with their faces buried in the sand looking for bugs. I did follow a diver for a bit but he gave me a "you're scaring all the fish away" look. So I went on my own. It was logged dive #13 and 2nd night dive. I carry a "Spare Air" tank. I was lit up like a Christmas tree and kept my bearing of where the boat was. I did a deep wreck dive (100') in my AOW class so I have an idea of what it's like at depth. I did get a lil Narc'd and I knew it when it occurred.

I caught a bug at 83' and that's when I got a lil worried. during the struggle and bagging my breathing rate went up a bit and I was not use to that feeling. My brain told me I my tank was about to be empty. You know that feeling from OW class when DI turns the air off during the pool dive so you know what it's like when tank is empty... yeah well I looked at my gauge and it read over 800 psi but it was hard to breathe. Skill, experience, and a dive buddy would have told my brain to stop, relax, and think. I started my slow ascent with my hand on my spare air. I made a noobie error going up. I forgot to vent my BC as I went up. When I hit 45' I rose like a Mylar balloon at a birthday party. The thinking I had little air cuz I was breathing heavy caused me to forget my training. i did a flare, slowed, hit the surface remembered why i could not stop and I purged my BC, Dropped to 20' for SS. then had a 2 hr SI. total dive time was 17 min. 2nd dive 40' 30 min.

I did have a lobster dinner that night. glad it was not the other way around :wink:

For The record, I will not night or deep dive without a buddy again. I shore dive no deeper then 40' in a cove solo and that's it. as far as LDS, I am 50 miles from the ocean and 30 miles from the nearest LDS.

I joined SB in the hopes to find a local dive buddy.

Thanks for your concern NC Wreck Diver, and everyone else.

I will be careful and dive safe.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom