28 Hours of No Fly Time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger, quoting from articles such as the one linked below which says "The Navy recommends a minimum of 2 hours before flying after scuba diving".

Flying After Diving: How Long Should You Wait? - AquaViews
Don't believe everything you read.
As far as I can tell, there is NOTHING in the USN Dive manual that supports the 2h time in your link. The link is garbage. Well, the link is fine, but what it links to is not.

Yes, I was just giving the other extreme.

Suunto's are so conservative that they are as good as worthless.
I don't get this argument here. You have a computer providing information that can inform your decision on when to fly based on complete desaturation. It tells you in the manual that this is the information being provided.

Information calculated based on the dives performed sounds a lot more useful than a generic recommendation, even if you decide to ignore it.

It could be one of those super worthwhile computers that prove their value by providing no information instead.

The biggest issue here is a limit of understanding of what no fly time means and how it should be applied.

Well... also bear in mind the legal implications of offering advice of when it is safe to fly. Anyone with a sane mind will for sure err on the side of caution, to not be sued by litigation-happy Americans. That’s why a lot of dive computer manufacturers do not offer any kind of no fly indication. Shearwater for example ...

That’s why a lot of dive computer manufacturers do not offer any kind of no fly indication. Shearwater for example ...
Can you name another?

Well... also bear in mind the legal implications of offering advice of when it is safe to fly. Anyone with a sane mind will for sure err on the side of caution, to not be sued by litigation-happy Americans.
I find this rational very hard to believe on a dive computer that's already giving you calculations for preventing dcs and comes out and says that following the computer is no guarantee of not getting dcs. Going from diving to ambient and diving to higher altitude is just a difference in pressure differential.

Shearwater themselves say "They are based on the type and duration of the diving activity, and a key factor that the computer can’t know – does the diver have symptoms of DCS. We have chosen not to reduce these recommendations to a calculation and we ask our customers to evaluate their situation and use an appropriate preflight surface interval."

Flying After Diving - Shearwater Research

So let's look to DAN. They say for multiday, ndl diving to do a minimum of 18 hours. They have also done testing on divers after a 24 hour surface interval that have shown bubbling occuring during flight, and as such, have breached the topic of extending no fly times.

Alert Diver | Flying After Diving

Now, the DAN testing shows that bubbles still occur (which is definitely an indicator for risk of dcs), but in their sample case, did not see any cases of dcs. Use this data to figure out where on the gradient between arbitrary 18 hours no fly time and calculated de-sat time you want to sit. Data gives you the opportunity to make an informed decision and perform your own risk analysis.

A computer is just a tool and it is up to you to decide how to apply the information it provides.

I still struggle, however, to understand how anyone can claim that the computer is trash because it says "hey, I was actually along for the dives you did and have calculated based on that. Here's how long it'll take you to desat based in that"

Back
Top Bottom