28% Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James228

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am new to Nitrox and would like to use a 28% blend but cannot find a table for 28%, does anyone know where to get such a table as mine only goes to 30%?

Did you learn about EAD in your nitrox course?

Knock it down to 21

You likely won't find a table for specific Nitrox blends other than 32% and 36%. You have two options:

1: work out the EAD (equivalent air depth) and then use air tables. You should have been taught this approach in your Nitrox course.

2: use a deco program to cut you a custom table for 28%.

The second is slightly more involved as it involves finding a suitable program, learning how to use it and cutting a table correctly. The first you should be able to do easily as it only involves a simple calculation (which you should have been taught to do) and then using air tables like you always would.

Edit: I see that Blackwood beat me to it.

I am new to Nitrox and would like to use a 28% blend but cannot find a table for 28%, does anyone know where to get such a table as mine only goes to 30%?

Why do you want to use 28%. What is the dive you want to do with 28% that you do not want to do with 32% or air? Are you focused on nitrogen loading, O2 loading or PPO2?

PADI don't make such tables. As others have stated, you are expected to calculate the EAD and use Air tables for the dive.

Here's a reminder... from Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalent_air_depth

Calculations in metres

The equivalent air depth can be calculated for depths in metres as follows:
EAD = (Depth + 10) × Fraction of N2 / 0.79 − 10 Working the earlier example, for a nitrox mix containing 64% nitrogen (EAN36) being used at 27 metres, the EAD is:
EAD = (27 + 10) × 0.64 / 0.79 − 10 EAD = 37 × 0.81 − 10 EAD = 30 − 10 EAD = 20 metres So at 27 metres on this mix, the diver would calculate their decompression requirements as if on air at 20 metres.
Calculations in feet

The equivalent air depth can be calculated for depths in feet as follows:
EAD = (Depth + 33) × Fraction of N2 / 0.79 − 33 Working the earlier example, for a nitrox mix containing 64% nitrogen (EAN36) being used at 90 feet, the EAD is:
EAD = (90 + 33) × 0.64 / 0.79 − 33 EAD = 123 × 0.81 − 33 EAD = 100 − 33 EAD = 67 feet So at 90 feet on this mix, the diver would calculate their decompression requirements as if on air at 67 feet.

I believe IANTD has tables for a multitude of blends other than I and II. IMO, if you aren't teaching IANTD nitrox, they offer questionable value.

Concur with previous posts on choices available to you...EAD/air tables and deco/dive planning software. You can download, for example, Suunto dive manager from their website which includes a tool call dive planner which allows you to configure it for whatever mix of interest and plan the profiles you may have in mind.

Other tool you could perhaps use...the dive planning function of your dive computer, if so equipped (and Nitrox compatible). If you just enter 28% in your Nitrox function and then switch to your dive planner, it should provide you with NDL for the various depths you are contemplating (square profile only).

For multilevel and repetitive dives..I would revert to a dive planning software.

The MOD for EAN 28 at a ppO2 of 1.4 is 132fsw, which is at the accepted limits of recreational diving.

If you are asking the question, you may want to question if you are ready for such a dive?

Back
Top Bottom