2nd stage air tube construction, metal vs plastic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder which of the current production 2nd stages have at least 2/3 of the barrel made of metal? The last 1/3 is to deal with the adjuster/plug
[/LIST]

The ScubaPro website shows the current S600 with a metal air barrel.

I see I was mistaken that the SP website shows the S600 w/ metal air barrel, I got mixed up on where I saw the news. Sorry for the mistake.

It is mentioned on the ScubaPro Facebook page. Here is the link, scroll down to the post from April 11th. Hopefully some info will be put up soon on the SP website since they seem to have already sent the updated S600 to some customers based on comments on the FB page.

Here is the post by Scubapro
"Did you know that S600 has been updated for 2011 with the addition of a full metal barrel? This leverages the higher thermal exchange rate of metal compared to plastic to provide an even better protection from freezing when diving in cold water."

Last edited:
Good to know guys, thanks. My ZX's are older, and of course have metal air barrels, but have the plastic orifices.... maybe I'll order a pair of metal ones next time I rebuild!

Best wishes.

I think I saw a plastic (blue?) orifice on some ZX second stages

... It is mentioned on the ScubaPro Facebook page. Here is the link, scroll down to the post from April 11th. Hopefully some info will be put up soon on the SP website since they seem to have already sent the updated S600 to some customers based on comments on the FB page...

I love this comment:
"Gary J. McCullough IV: its about time because I have been replacing the cracked plastic ones on every other reg I service"

The SP Love and BS Fest.ivus.

Minute from Johnson to another Johnson

I know, if we slip in a plastic barrel, how
long before they start rubbing their arses

APPROVED.

Followed by
uproarious cheering, clapping
by the backslapping thankers.

No
that's what the customers are
doing

The Zeagle 2nds (ZX at least) have full metal air barrels (but use a plastic orifice :( ) Nice breathing 2nd's, simple to service and tune. I believe the HOG 2nds do as well (and use a metal orifice I believe)?

Best wishes.

Checked all my zx second stages and found the plastic orifice in one of them , damn that one was my first zeagle that i bought in the beginning of 2008

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom