3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected:
I know divers penetrate the wreck all the time. However, my understanding was that this particular area was one that had initially been blocked off. Have we found that to be untrue? If so my apologies and please correct me. I thought at this point that still held true. No?

Andy, here is one of the reports that states they were in the pump room which is to be off limits. http://cbs4.com/local/local_story_077135945.html http://www.miamiherald.com/884/story/45198.html

As Rick said though, they may not have known this. That said, if in fact, what their friend is stating (read last post by Mike_S) is true, that they did have a plan and it was to enter a room they weren't supposed to, well...

Dadvocate:
I realize this is probably an irrational fear to most experienced penetration divers

No, it isn't and it never should be. I do wrecks all the time, and I never want to lose my fear of what can happen - because that's what helps keep me safe. My take-away from this incident is just NEVER take the shortcuts that we all sometimes do, because getting away with them is simply a matter of luck. And luck runs out sometimes.

Dadvocate:
................[snip]...............How does one get to a level of confidence with these types of dives without ever having to push the envelope at various stages along the learning curve? To me and my inexperience, this doesn’t seem possible without taking at least incremental risks so that one can graduate to harder wreck dives.............[snip]...................

Baby steps!!

Getting the training, and doing the dives with experienced well trained mentors. easy penetrations at first. then progressively harder

Along the journey listen to the voice in your head when it says No!! this isn't a good idea!!

It seems to me that going through harder more dangerous dives and coming out with increased confidence simply leads to the thought that you can do anything.

Coming out from a dangerous dive thinking that, this time, nothing bad happened, keeps you humble and keeps you training.

I love deep wrecks!! I don't have much experience with them yet. I do have a very healthy fear. It keeps me very alert and alive!!

mike_s:
You know... I've never heard that any part of the ship was "off limits" until this accident occurred.

Were rooms closed off and hatches/doors dogged shut? were they welded shut? (to keep them off limits).

If memory serves me, initially it said that area had been chained but someone had cut the chain (not these divers).

Either way, reports keep repeating that area was off-limits. Read the first and sixth paragraph of this report: http://www.miamiherald.com/884/story/45198.html Just about every report is saying they were in an area they weren't supposed to be. Your second to last post states the friend knew they were doing the Pump-room. So they knew they were doing an area they were not supposed to :confused:

I asked a question earlier of someone, I was wondering if it is standard protocol to weld, to chain, or both. That was just a curiosity of mine.

Missdirected:
If memory serves me, initially it said that area had been chained but someone had cut the chain (not these divers).

[snip]

I asked a question earlier of someone, I was wondering if it is standard protocol to weld, to chain, or both. That was just a curiosity of mine.

Well that bring up a whole new argument. Lets say they chained the entrance to the "lower decks" in one location, a diver goes in, someone has "broken the chains" so he swims on in. Later on he decides to swim out another hatch, only to find it chained shut. sounds dangerous.

If they really wanted to make that area off limits they should have welded the hatches shut to that entire level. (of course I don't think that's the solution either... otherwise they'd weld shut the entire wreck.)

mike_s:
It appears they were in a "pump room" from this report.

(I've replaced names with ***** per TOS of the forum).

Mike_s thanks for all your hard work with the *****s! But there have been recent changes to the TOS for this forum that no longer require that. And a few other changes while we're at it, thought I'd share see:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2765653&postcount=111

Quote:
Special rules - Please Read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sherrif's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own. New Change
(2) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(3) No trolling.
(4) No "condolences to the family" here new change

It is important for us as a community to assess and discuss diving accidents and incidents as a means of preventing them. However, once emotions are involved intelligent discussion becomes next to impossible.If the moderators feel that the discussion is getting out of hand in any thread they may close or remove the thread, with or without notice.

Back
Top Bottom