3000psi valve in a 3442 tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe the plumber

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought 2 new xs x7-100 steel tanks rated for 3442psi. The convertible din/yoke vavle says 3000psi on it. Is this the proper valve to get a full fill of 3442? I just had them filled today by a different dive shop then I got them from and they told me they were the wrong valves?!!?? Also told me if he would have noticed it before filling them he would have refused to fill them. Says I will have burst disc troubles with these valves? Thoughts?

Last edited:
New you say? That is strange. I don't think it really matters what the valve says-its which burst disk is in there. I'm not sure the disk would give at 3500psi anyway but even if it did....I don't see what the problem is for the guy filling the tank. Now if it were reversed and more of an extreme....a valve with a burst disk at 3500 on a tank rated to...I don't know-1500 (if such a think exist) then I could see where there might be concern....but honestly, I don't own a fill station so I don't really know.

the only issue that could arise is a burst disk failure, but hardly likely. Next time the tank is close to empty, bleed it off and put the proper burst disk in.

The proper burst disc is critical. During a hydro test the tank is pressurized to 5/3 of the working pressure. The burst disc must release before the pressure reaches 166% of the working pressure, and usually at 150% of the working pressure. Did the shop that installed a 3000 psi valve in a 3442 psi tank not say anything about the mismatch ?

The proper burst disc is critical. During a hydro test the tank is pressurized to 5/3 of the working pressure. The burst disc must release before the pressure reaches 166% of the working pressure, and usually at 150% of the working pressure. Did the shop that installed a 3000 psi valve in a 3442 psi tank not say anything about the mismatch ?
no nothIng

The more difficult problem is reliably getting a fill op to fill them to 3442 if they see a valve that says 3000 regardless of what the tank and the burst disk may say. Have the shop that sold them to you install the correct valve that you payed for or you will never know when a fill op will use it as an excuse to not give you 3442 psi.

BTW, your valve is not used during a hydro so no problem there.

XS-Scuba-100-Cubic-Foot-High-Pressure-Steel-Scuba-Tank.jpg

(Click here for larger image)

Mfg Part Number :
X7-100​
Share this item:

[h=1]XS Scuba 100 Cubic Foot High Pressure Steel Scuba Tank[/h]Eligible for Free Standard Shipping on orders over $25
stars5.gif
Customer reviews see below

Was it this tank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom