3000psi valve in a 3442 tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I am going a little one sided against the shop. It is because I believe someone took the valves off of his tanks and swapped them. Maybe I'm wrong, I've been wrong before. He can find out by calling XS scuba and asking them how they shipped. I would never call the shop and accuse them of anything, I would just tell them that there must have been a mixup and I'd like to get it corrected.

Wow this is all too much, just peel the sticker off and get on with life. As for ktomlinson, I have many valves and the only ones I don't like are the XS valves.

The proper burst disc is critical. During a hydro test the tank is pressurized to 5/3 of the working pressure. The burst disc must release before the pressure reaches 166% of the working pressure, and usually at 150% of the working pressure. Did the shop that installed a 3000 psi valve in a 3442 psi tank not say anything about the mismatch ?

Hydro is done without valve attached.

I am pretty sure when you buy a x7-100 tank today, you should get a thermo convertible valve with it. Now a shop may offered you a better price by swapping out for a less expansive valve, as long as you agree that is fine, but is it the case? But that valve on the picture is not the valve that came with the tank

I just bought 2 new xs x7-100 steel tanks rated for 3442psi. The convertible din/yoke vavle says 3000psi on it. Is this the proper valve to get a full fill of 3442? I just had them filled today by a different dive shop then I got them from and they told me they were the wrong valves?!!?? Also told me if he would have noticed it before filling them he would have refused to fill them. Says I will have burst disc troubles with these valves? Thoughts?

I bought a pair of X7-100 tanks and they were delivered yesterday..they both came with 3442 valves

Of course the hydro test is done without the valve attached.
A 3000 psi working pressure valve will have a burst disk that ruptures before reaching the pressure of a 3442 rated valve.
But using a 3000 psi working pressure rated valve at 3442 psi is possibly an unsafe condition.
If there is a commercial vs. recreational shop in your area, they may be best qualified to assess the mismatch and if there is a real issue.

So Joe, did you ever get this straightened out with the shop?

Yes. They didn't have the xs valves in stock (would have ordered them if I wanted) but they did have Blue Steel that the Faber tanks use. So I had them put them in. They now have the 5250 burst discs so I'm good.:)

Back
Top Bottom