3000psi valve in a 3442 tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To make this all even more interesting the scuba xs valve posted says 230 BAR and my valves say 250 BAR.

---------- Post Merged at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:57 AM ----------

230 bar = 3 335.86797 pounds per square inch

250 bar = 3 625.94344 pounds per square inch

---------- Post Merged at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:57 AM ----------

So the 230 Bar valve technically would not be rated high enough:confused:

I guess it's better to stamp 230 on the back rather than 237.3178.

Your valves are Catalina valves. Are they convertible to DIN? So have you called them and told them you were coming in for your valves yet?

I guess it's better to stamp 230 on the back rather than 237.3178.

Your valves are Catalina valves. Are they convertible to DIN? So have you called them and told them you were coming in for your valves yet?

Yes they are din/yoke valves. I talked to them yesterday. I guess the dive shop that filled them called the dive shop I got them from to shall we say make aware of the problem. The shop I got them from said the valves are fine but they will need to replace the burst disc.

my first HP100 has ThermoPro 230bar 5250 and a 3442psi @ 70*f sticker .. second tank more recently purchased has XS 230bar valve, 5250 and a 3442 Service Pressure sticker

I would have they change the sticker/valve to read the correct tank pressure because, as has been pointed out, you know that someone/sometime is not going to fill them to 3442psi just because of it

Yes they are din/yoke valves. I talked to them yesterday. I guess the dive shop that filled them called the dive shop I got them from to shall we say make aware of the problem. The shop I got them from said the valves are fine but they will need to replace the burst disc.

I'd call XS scuba and ask if they ever sold tanks with the valve you have on them, if not I'd tell the shop to give me the valves that came on it. If they are going to switch the burst disc for you then they know they aren't the valves that came on them because the valves that came on them would have the correct burst disc. I'm sure the valves are "fine", but I have a feeling that the XS valves are better valves, and personally I would want what I paid for. I bet XS scuba would be interested to know of a dealer switching valves out without notifying the customer of it.

Reactions: D_B
The valve may be "fine" from a safety standpoint but that valve is not "fine" from the standpoint of being able to get reliable fill service.

Reactions: D_B
I'd call XS scuba and ask if they ever sold tanks with the valve you have on them, if not I'd tell the shop to give me the valves that came on it. If they are going to switch the burst disc for you then they know they aren't the valves that came on them because the valves that came on them would have the correct burst disc. I'm sure the valves are "fine", but I have a feeling that the XS valves are better valves, and personally I would want what I paid for. I bet XS scuba would be interested to know of a dealer switching valves out without notifying the customer of it.
Generally tank companies will sell the tanks without the valves or with a stated valve. It makes sense for many shops to just buy the tanks.

I may sell a particular tank like an X7-100 to a recreational diver wanting a superb tank for single tank diving in which case a Thermo Pro DIN/K valve would be fine. On the other hand, if I am only selling the tank to a recreational diver who only plans to use yoke regs, then I can trim $15-20 off the sale price by going with a regular K-valve, and with fairly stiff internet competition that $20 price cut might be the difference between making the sale or not.

And I may also sell that same tank to a tech diver who wants to double them up with a manifold, or sidemount them with right and left handed valves. In both cases, the regular Thermo Pro DIN/K valve that XS would normally supply would not work as I'd end up with right and left modular valves in them (and an isolator for doubles).

The point being that a shop that caters to both OW and tech divers will buy tanks and then stock valves separately in K, DIN/K and modular flavors. They may even order valves with the tanks as XS scuba may offer a great rate on the combination - but that does not mean the shop has any real expectation of selling them that way, it's just a means the dealer is re-stocking DIN/K valves.

----

The valve in question looks a lot like a Sherwood valve, and while I like the Thermo Pro DIN/K valve just fine I like Sherwood valves just as well.

I don't think it is wrong to expect the valves that are advertised as coming with the tanks. If it were talked about before I'd say fine a deals a deal, but everywhere I've looked it seems that the X-7 tank comes with a XS scuba valve, not a Sherwood or a Catalina (according to google). It says right on XS scubas website that the tank comes with a XS scuba valve.

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel.html

Are you buying off the web site or from a local dive shop/dealer?

If you are buying from a local dive shop/dealer then it should come with the valve you each agreed it should come with when you bought/ordered the tank.

The thing is XS scuba sells lots of valves...

XS Scuba Valves

So which one do you want?

And if you don't want one of those but want something different (maybe a Dive Rite valve to match all the others you already have), do I make you buy the valve you don't want anyway?

You're setting the shop up to be the bad guy no matter what they do, rather than just taking an active role in ensuring you ask for, buy and get exactly what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom