4.5 hr layover in GCM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agave Grill and the Yacht Club are near the airport. Lone Star is miles away, half way up 7MB.

It is not that bad - you just run straight up the bypass. In driving terms it is really only about 5 minutes further than Agave Grill.

On the other hand, the quality of the food I won't speak to. Although I did use to enjoy watching college football there on Saturday nights.

Like Rhone Man, I go to Lone Star to drink beer and watch a game on TV (and I sit in with the band occasionally), but I'm not sure I'd make it a point to head there for the food - although it's not bad. If you go to Seven Mile Beach (and it's only a 10-15 min drive from the airport) there are lots of better places for food and/or drink.

Working from a weak memory here, but going south to north you have the Wharf ($$$), Fidel Murphy's (good beer), XQs (kind of a sports bar), Coconut Joe's, Pepper's (great steamed island style fish), Chicken! Chicken! (great jerked chicken), Lauren's (good all around less expensive casual), Decker's (a bit more upscale), Hemingway's ($$$ but on the beach), Sunshine Grill (seems to be the all time favorite around here - we go there a lot), and Eats (like Lauren's) - and that's probably about a far north as you might go. Although if you take the Tibbetts Highway up the middle of the island to the north end of the beach you can get there quickly - and either grab an upscale meal and drink at the Kimpton beach bar or circle back on the shore road and hit either Duke's (good food, casual, reasonable prices) or you can hit Calico Jack's beach bar and just drink along with the locals, and maybe after a few you'll decide to ditch your flight and just stay.

Reactions: mbs
We programmed in a longish layover in gc, on the way in, just in case our plane got in late to gc. Our intention was to take one of many earlier flights to CB if we got in on time.

They ended up cancelling all the earlier flights to cb and putting those passengers on our flight.

Like Rhone Man, I go to Lone Star to drink beer and watch a game on TV (and I sit in with the band occasionally), but I'm not sure I'd make it a point to head there for the food - although it's not bad. If you go to Seven Mile Beach (and it's only a 10-15 min drive from the airport) there are lots of better places for food and/or drink.

Working from a weak memory here, but going south to north you have the Wharf ($$$), Fidel Murphy's (good beer), XQs (kind of a sports bar), Coconut Joe's, Pepper's (great steamed island style fish), Chicken! Chicken! (great jerked chicken), Lauren's (good all around less expensive casual), Decker's (a bit more upscale), Hemingway's ($$$ but on the beach), Sunshine Grill (seems to be the all time favorite around here - we go there a lot), and Eats (like Lauren's) - and that's probably about a far north as you might go. Although if you take the Tibbetts Highway up the middle of the island to the north end of the beach you can get there quickly - and either grab an upscale meal and drink at the Kimpton beach bar or circle back on the shore road and hit either Duke's (good food, casual, reasonable prices) or you can hit Calico Jack's beach bar and just drink along with the locals, and maybe after a few you'll decide to ditch your flight and just stay.

On the other hand, you could just get on the shuttle at the airport and go to the Yacht Club.

On the other hand, you could just get on the shuttle at the airport and go to the Yacht Club.

I agree! It's quick, easy, free shuttle, no traffic, pleasant environment, and good food! We eat at GTYC sometimes even when we are not catching a plane, because we like the ambience and the food!

I agree! It's quick, easy, free shuttle, no traffic, pleasant environment, and good food! We eat at GTYC sometimes even when we are not catching a plane, because we like the ambience and the food!

Yea, not looking for a hopping sports bar this time... Leaving the house before 4am so just a place to chill and grab a bite is all we will be up to by them. Personally I would be fine crashing at the gate with a beer, but I suspect my wife will need food by then :wink:

When I lived in GC I lived pretty much over the road from Sunshine Grill. I never could understand what all the fuss was about. Everyone banged on about the Fish tacos but I just didn't see the appeal.

The Sunshine Grill combines reasonable food, large servings, pleasant staff and good service in a nice environment at low prices. That particular combo is generally hard to find on Grand Cayman. They also throw in little soft serve ice cream cones at the end of the meal so you think you are getting a bonus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom