4 Australian/Great Barrier Fish to Name!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello All,
I just got back from a weekend in Cairns, Australia where we dove Therford Reefs. I got a few pictures of fish I can't name. First of all for you Ausies out there...I loved Australia and can't wait to go back!! Secondly, If you could help name these I would be most grateful! Thirdly, does everyone use those little 50-60 litter tankes "down under"? They made for short dives! Anyway, thanks for your help!!

I think #2 was a Baramundi Code or something?

Chad

Plus a Bonus from Guam!! Any guesses on this white scorpionfish?

Glad you had a great time!

Usual tank sizes that I've seen are 95 cuft. At our shops we have two smaller sizes as well - plus my baby 65 cuft tanks.

Your first guy is some sort of little three fin, I think.

#2 Baby barramundi cod - actually a juvenile, not baby

#3 Beaked Coralfish Chelmon rostratus

#4 Rainford's Butterfly Chaetodon rainfordi

The one from Guam looks kind of like a False Stonefish Scorpaenopsis diabolus - "distiguished by...humped back and bright yellow-orange patch on inner surface of pectoral fins" from Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia adn South-East Asia

I think :wink:

Thanks Alcina!! I got a hint while in Cairns to head up your way. The boat captain said there is some great diving outside of Broome!! Especially when the tides are right! He really though the liveaboards out there were worth it!! How about you?
Thanks again,
Chad

That's way way further north than I am :)

But, yes, if you can get out on a liveaboard to the Rowley Shoals definitely do it. Make sure the boat is concentrating on diving and not just doing some dives or you will find yourself out of water a lot more than in it. Broome Visitor Centre might be able to help you. I haven't dived there but have a couple of friends who have done multiple trips and rave about it. It's on my list one day...

You will need to book in advance as it isn't an area you can just show up and go diving...and you'll need some fairly serious spendoolies, too. Well worth it from all accounts, though!

The first one is a blenny and I believe it is Crossosalarias macrospilus or a triplespot blenny. From the angle of the image it's hard to determine whether it has distinctive markings around it's dorsal fins or chin/throat.

The scorpionfish looks like a false stonefish/devil scorpionfish or Scorpaenopsis diabolus?

Back
Top Bottom