Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish she tied her SMB to her BCD. I do mine to my BCD & put it in the BCD waist pocket along with mirror & emergency light. All 3 attached to the BCD with strings. Anything that can make yourself visible to the rescuers should be on hand. After all we are just a tiny spec in the big ocean.

What happened to Carlos' SMB?

Well, I am Colombian and PADI Certified.

I think it will interesting to read, analyze and learn from this experience and read your comments.

Malpelo Island: Malpelo Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Original thread on this link but in Spanish Así sobrevivieron dos buzos a 50 horas entre tiburones y medusas - Otras ciudades - El Tiempo

Google Translate:
So two divers survived 50 hours between sharks and jellyfish Jorge Ivan Morales says he and Hernan Dario Rodriguez never lost hope of survival.

"It was a quiet afternoon, and the last thing she said Carlos Enrique, our guide, was reminding the immersion route. It was for the Cathedral, near the island of Malpelo. The idea was to give a small round. The five were together because rule in diving we have to care for each other, but when we got to the surface we realized that neither Peter nor Erika and Carlos Enrique were with us."

Jorge Ivan Morales, a business administrator and amateur diver, tells how it began, with the dentist Hernan Dario Rodriguez, on Wednesday, at 4:30 pm, an odyssey of 50 hours in the Pacific amid nothing, including sharks, 265 miles from Buenaventura. The two were part of a tour of four divers and a guide who had a week in the Colombian island making dives in this underwater paradise, until the current adventure turned into a tragedy.

"We saw the rock. It is that Malpelo is a rock. But we could not see the ship Mary Patricia; and others, either. I can not say what went wrong, the only thing is that sea currents separated us. We were distanced from any possibility of land, tells Jorge Ivan. I do not know how many kilometers were Malpelo, but we saw it and were trying to reach. We swam, but still could not reach. We had a compass that told us that was west ".

With the passing of the hours began to grow the anguish of the two divers.

"We wanted to return to our homes. But gradually we realized that we would spend the night at sea. It was one of the most difficult moments. The first night. Accept that there is a problem and see what to do to overcome was the only way to survive. I appreciate that I was with Hernán. We did not know what was going to happen, but we never lost hope that we would return. "

Those first moments in the water were much difficulty. They swallowed a lot of salt water. Jorge Ivan says he began to apply the rules of survival, as night fell.

"We had to always maintain body heat. That had to be cuddled and snuggled. We were in a fetal position to keep warm. Diving teams have a species of ropes that moored us to not carry us a stream. We knew we had to take care of our energy.

The cold began to dominate. "We trembled. We were always shaking. The sea was freezing and we had to be cuddled. We urinated in the sea without unstuck. We watched the starry sky and clouds passing. We had a lot of uncertainty. "

They slept very little. "We closed the eyes, but it was for two minutes. Hopefully he kept us thinking about our families, in our dreams. In Malpelo want to reach. "

That night was eternal, and in the morning the cold undiminished. "We still shaking. The ocean was cold, and that it was sunny. A computer that had, as does every diver, showed us between 13 and 14 degrees. "

On the second day of the shipwreck Malpelo saw a little further. The sun began to fall hard, and not a drop of rain fell.

"If it had rained, it would have been more encouraging for us because we would collect water. But we were thirsty, the sun was still burning, very strong. But we still gulping water, and is quite salty. "

None of them, according to Morales, was afraid of sharks.

Jellyfish Attack

"Yes there are sharks in that area, but Pacific sharks are not aggressive and did us anything. So we were not afraid. They are hammerhead sharks, are others. I saw one another, and other fish. We wanted to catch them for food, but how, if we did not how to catch them. "

The hours moved slowly and felt how her skin was burning. "We kept swimming. I moved my legs, and maybe that's why it hurts a foot. "

Until came the most critical moment, when both were jellyfish prey.

"We were attacked. What a pain, very strong. I do not know how many jellyfish were, but what time so hard. There were other animals. We felt flutter over the surface of the water, and also touched us. This was very difficult, but it is important that ever, with Hernán, had an argument. We knew we had to survive and overcome the difficulties in the ocean. "

He returned at night and no longer saw Malpelo. They were completely surrounded by the sea. Then they turned to moor to stay cuddled because the cold did not stop and they were more exhausted by the lack of water and food.
"That night we talked in his sleep. I think we delusion. We talked asleep. I do not remember what we said, but we were already raving. "

With sunrise Friday, there were few forces they had. Literally, they were at sea without seeing any land. Really they did not know where they were or in what direction was Malpelo. It was only the sound of a jet engine which removed them from lethargy.

"We at the beginning did not see any plane. We hear. We knew there no trade routes. So we thought it was that we were looking for. The plane passed and then we saw it. "

Jorge Ivan's face changes when it comes to aircraft US government that placed them. His voice quickens and your eyes start to pool.

"The plane then made a gesture. We saw that flew sideways and saw that greeted us. Hernán and I cried. " At that time, Jorge Ivan was his voice broke and let out the tears.

The two divers they found 39 nautical miles from Malpelo, ie, 72 kilometers, and rescued by the Punta Ardita boat of the Navy, where they met with his partner Peter Morse, American diver, rescued a day following.

"God sent me to Hernán to survive. We both made a good team, "he says paisa, embraced his family in Buenaventura, where he arrived Tuesday to tell their odyssey.

Search continues

"Unfortunately, we can not say that the work has been fully met," said the commander of the Navy, Admiral Paulo Guevara, about finding divers Erika Vanessa Diaz and Carlos Enrique Jimenez.

"The operations continue. A Colombian Air Force, the US and the families and divers involved in this search them all, thank you very much ". The Punta Ardita is one of the three vessels have remained in Malpelo area to intensify the search for the two missing divers.

I wish she tied her SMB to her BCD. I do mine to my BCD & put it in the BCD waist pocket along with mirror & emergency light. All 3 attached to the BCD with strings. Anything that can make yourself visible to the rescuers should be on hand. After all we are just a tiny spec in the big ocean.

What happened to Carlos' SMB?
The question is whether the SMB was inflated or not when found. No diver would deliberately discard the inflated SMB in distress.

Well, I am Colombian and PADI Certified.

I think it will interesting to read, analyze and learn from this experience and read your comments.

Malpelo Island: Malpelo Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Original thread on this link but in Spanish Así sobrevivieron dos buzos a 50 horas entre tiburones y medusas - Otras ciudades - El Tiempo

Google Translate:
So two divers survived 50 hours between sharks and jellyfish Jorge Ivan Morales says he and Hernan Dario Rodriguez never lost hope of survival.

"It was a quiet afternoon, and the last thing she said Carlos Enrique, our guide, was reminding the immersion route. It was for the Cathedral, near the island of Malpelo. The idea was to give a small round. The five were together because rule in diving we have to care for each other, but when we got to the surface we realized that neither Peter nor Erika and Carlos Enrique were with us."

Jorge Ivan Morales, a business administrator and amateur diver, tells how it began, with the dentist Hernan Dario Rodriguez, on Wednesday, at 4:30 pm, an odyssey of 50 hours in the Pacific amid nothing, including sharks, 265 miles from Buenaventura. The two were part of a tour of four divers and a guide who had a week in the Colombian island making dives in this underwater paradise, until the current adventure turned into a tragedy.

"We saw the rock. It is that Malpelo is a rock. But we could not see the ship Mary Patricia; and others, either. I can not say what went wrong, the only thing is that sea currents separated us. We were distanced from any possibility of land, tells Jorge Ivan. I do not know how many kilometers were Malpelo, but we saw it and were trying to reach. We swam, but still could not reach. We had a compass that told us that was west ".

With the passing of the hours began to grow the anguish of the two divers.

"We wanted to return to our homes. But gradually we realized that we would spend the night at sea. It was one of the most difficult moments. The first night. Accept that there is a problem and see what to do to overcome was the only way to survive. I appreciate that I was with Hernán. We did not know what was going to happen, but we never lost hope that we would return. "

Those first moments in the water were much difficulty. They swallowed a lot of salt water. Jorge Ivan says he began to apply the rules of survival, as night fell.

"We had to always maintain body heat. That had to be cuddled and snuggled. We were in a fetal position to keep warm. Diving teams have a species of ropes that moored us to not carry us a stream. We knew we had to take care of our energy.

The cold began to dominate. "We trembled. We were always shaking. The sea was freezing and we had to be cuddled. We urinated in the sea without unstuck. We watched the starry sky and clouds passing. We had a lot of uncertainty. "

They slept very little. "We closed the eyes, but it was for two minutes. Hopefully he kept us thinking about our families, in our dreams. In Malpelo want to reach. "

That night was eternal, and in the morning the cold undiminished. "We still shaking. The ocean was cold, and that it was sunny. A computer that had, as does every diver, showed us between 13 and 14 degrees. "

On the second day of the shipwreck Malpelo saw a little further. The sun began to fall hard, and not a drop of rain fell.

"If it had rained, it would have been more encouraging for us because we would collect water. But we were thirsty, the sun was still burning, very strong. But we still gulping water, and is quite salty. "

None of them, according to Morales, was afraid of sharks.

Jellyfish Attack

"Yes there are sharks in that area, but Pacific sharks are not aggressive and did us anything. So we were not afraid. They are hammerhead sharks, are others. I saw one another, and other fish. We wanted to catch them for food, but how, if we did not how to catch them. "

The hours moved slowly and felt how her skin was burning. "We kept swimming. I moved my legs, and maybe that's why it hurts a foot. "

Until came the most critical moment, when both were jellyfish prey.

"We were attacked. What a pain, very strong. I do not know how many jellyfish were, but what time so hard. There were other animals. We felt flutter over the surface of the water, and also touched us. This was very difficult, but it is important that ever, with Hernán, had an argument. We knew we had to survive and overcome the difficulties in the ocean. "

He returned at night and no longer saw Malpelo. They were completely surrounded by the sea. Then they turned to moor to stay cuddled because the cold did not stop and they were more exhausted by the lack of water and food.
"That night we talked in his sleep. I think we delusion. We talked asleep. I do not remember what we said, but we were already raving. "

With sunrise Friday, there were few forces they had. Literally, they were at sea without seeing any land. Really they did not know where they were or in what direction was Malpelo. It was only the sound of a jet engine which removed them from lethargy.

"We at the beginning did not see any plane. We hear. We knew there no trade routes. So we thought it was that we were looking for. The plane passed and then we saw it. "

Jorge Ivan's face changes when it comes to aircraft US government that placed them. His voice quickens and your eyes start to pool.

"The plane then made a gesture. We saw that flew sideways and saw that greeted us. Hernán and I cried. " At that time, Jorge Ivan was his voice broke and let out the tears.

The two divers they found 39 nautical miles from Malpelo, ie, 72 kilometers, and rescued by the Punta Ardita boat of the Navy, where they met with his partner Peter Morse, American diver, rescued a day following.

"God sent me to Hernán to survive. We both made a good team, "he says paisa, embraced his family in Buenaventura, where he arrived Tuesday to tell their odyssey.

Search continues

"Unfortunately, we can not say that the work has been fully met," said the commander of the Navy, Admiral Paulo Guevara, about finding divers Erika Vanessa Diaz and Carlos Enrique Jimenez.

"The operations continue. A Colombian Air Force, the US and the families and divers involved in this search them all, thank you very much ". The Punta Ardita is one of the three vessels have remained in Malpelo area to intensify the search for the two missing divers.

Thanks for posting the translated article.

I know we're still missing a lot of information but Malpelo is 300 miles from the mainland with only a small military outpost on it (if wikipedia is current). I could not imagine hitting the water in that situation without some sort of radio beacon like a Nautilus Lifeline. It wouldn't be strong enough to reach the mainland but perhaps the outpost would receive the signal and at the very least a search vessel or aircraft would be actively scanning for such a device (I'd hope). Still hoping and praying for the remaining missing divers and their families.

I'm just speculating from this post, below. Her SMB was found inflated. Has it tied to her BCD, she would have been found.

...The surface marker buoy of the woman was found inflated. We still have hope

The question is whether the SMB was inflated or not when found. No diver would deliberately discard the inflated SMB in distress.

It was hers & was found inflated. What did you think happen?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom