4ft underwater, dived deeper, momentarily lost consciousness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please note, I did not lose consciousness, I became disoriented
Sorry, but the title,

...4ft underwater, dived deeper, momentarily lost consciousness...

may not have been an accurate description of the event that you're trying to describe.

Has this been resolved?

It was a misunderstanding of terms that contributed to my dismissal from OW training. Age was a factor even though health is good. I didn't move fast enough through the program causing them frustration. SDI trainer was newly trainer certified, said I didn't communicate underwater or at surface-frustration in particular leg squeeze from dry suit, sometimes overinflated BCD pushed me forward, another concern

I have no issues with dive shop,, they are very good at what they do. They offered to refer me to another dive shop and refunded $200.00 for two certification courses I didn't get to.

So this is all in a pool?
In a drysuit?
Hmmm I am not a fan of first time students in a dry suit, to much stuff and task loading,
I know there are lots of people that think it's fine, and disagree....

So… original post was over a year go. @Mr. Ed did you get over this problem? Do you dive normally now? Have you figured out why you were getting disoriented?

People who wonder how things turned out should go to his profile and then read the many threads he has started since then.
Good idea. Except @Mr. Ed limits who can see his profile, and apparently I am not on the list…
From you description of him having multiple posts on a scuba board, I will assume that all has turned out well for him.

This is not normal at any depth. Please go see a doctor ASAP for a full physical. Don't dive, or try to learn to dive until this is figured out and resolved.

Am I the first to call this our as trolling? I mean seriously - someone's got to look back at prior posts, right?

So… original post was over a year go. @Mr. Ed did you get over this problem? Do you dive normally now? Have you figured out why you were getting disoriented?
Yes it was the first and only time this happened. Can't explain why or what brought it on, I checked with doctor who gave me the go ahead to continue but to be aware of any changes that may occur. No problem since then.

Sorry, but the title,

...4ft underwater, dived deeper, momentarily lost consciousness...

may not have been an accurate description of the event that you're trying to describe.

Has this been resolved?
you are contradicting what you initially reported: 2nd training session was yesterday, after successfully completing underwater breathing maneuvers, snorkel / regulator breathing exchange, inhale through regulator / exhale nose without mask and so on and so on. I had some time to get used to being underwater.

At about 4 ft underwater, head first I dived deeper and suddenly it was if I momentarily blacked out. Uncertain as to what happened I repeated my actions and the same loss consciousness occurred.

Well, then everything is fine(ish).

OK, you should not become disoriented at 4ft but excitement may have had its psychological effect.
I certainly recognize that I had some brain fog during my initial dives.
The more I dive the more I have clarity of mind and awareness of the environment - but I'm still not perfect.

Problems are fine as long as you have an idea of how to cope with them and you can keep calm.

Becoming disoriented under water can be lethal in a cave (it should not be, if properly trained) or under ice (same comment as before) or if you start to swim down believing it's up and you have too little gas... These situations mostly depict very advanced forms of diving though and are not something a new diver should worry about. And remember, if you have no clue what's up, what's down, then I'll give a hint: bubbles very seldom go down (and now, everyone who has been in an ocean down current shut up :D )

In open water however, with buoyancy aids (BCD and/or drysuit) that ensure buoyancy and while doing dives with no mandatory decompression stops... disorientation is a minor nuisance.
-> Just keep calm and breathe. It's important.
-> The water is still the same. The surface is still up there.
-> If you inflate your BCD then you will still float to the surface - with no brains needed. Just exhale regularly, and all will be OK.

Nobody wants the **** to hit the fan, we try to avoid that very hard, but if it still happens, then we need to know how to clean the mess up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom