(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Lee,

I agree with you 100%.

Same here but shhhhhh :ssst: let's not wake up PF.

BTW, any additional news on this?

There are many types of BC's these days, some with more lift capacity than others. Of course they should all have sufficient capacity to keep the diver afloat, with head out of the water. It is, IMHO, possible for someone in one of the lighter, slimmer, lower capacity BCs made especially for "traveling" to have inflated the device, but lost consciousness and/or otherwise got in trouble and ended up with face in the water and/or insufficient lift capacity to keep the head sufficiently above vigorous seas. I personally ditched my slim line BC "made especially for women divers" for a SCUBAPRO Classic that is ideally suited for "real ocean".
There are, I'm sure, other mfg.'s products that accomplish the same thing, but I noted the difference right away, and felt much more secure in high seas wearing this model.
Just a thought....

Looks like the thread has wandered again. Any chance we could move this discussion of bc design and accident management to another thread.

I've just read the last 20 pages looking for some news about the final disposition of this incident, and I'm brain fried from the arguments and the extraneous comments. Not that they don't have a place on scubaboard, but maybe they're not too appropriate here, on a thread dedicated to discussing the death of a fellow diver.

I certainly suppose we could, but I am new to this site, found this discussion a useful opportunity to contribute, apparently committed a site faux paux in the process, you must forgive me. I, as you, searched the thread for the salient information related to the missing diver (how sad), but wandered into a part of the discussion that at least appeared relevant, in terms of helping someone else, perhaps, avoid such a tragedy.
Seems to me like this discussion emulates "real life." One topic segways into another, perhaps inconveniently so. But it never hurts to toss a kernal of potentially useful information into the fray, if it might save someone else's life. Or so I believe in my naivete'
:)

SeaKat:
I certainly suppose we could, but I am new to this site, found this discussion a useful opportunity to contribute, apparently committed a site faux paux in the process, you must forgive me. I, as you, searched the thread for the salient information related to the missing diver (how sad), but wandered into a part of the discussion that at least appeared relevant, in terms of helping someone else, perhaps, avoid such a tragedy.
Seems to me like this discussion emulates "real life." One topic segways into another, perhaps inconveniently so. But it never hurts to toss a kernal of potentially useful information into the fray, if it might save someone else's life. Or so I believe in my naivete'
:)

Welcome to the site SeaKat, no need to ask for forgiveness. When this thread started, it was meant to find out what happened to the diver on the Spiegel. No accident report has been published (to my knowledge) but it sparked a series of discussion around diver responsibility (fitness, skills, etc.) and dive operator responsibility. The latter even sparked another thread addressing that specific issue as shown here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96928

There have been over 550 posts on this accident and everything (lesson, facts and opinions) that can be discussed ... has been. It may be boring but going through the entire thread may yield some useful information.

esqeddy:
Does anyone have any more information about this tragedy?

Often initial reports prove to be substantially inaccurate in various respects. Before forming an opinion, it sure would be helpful to have a more comprehensive account of the incident.

While I was in Key Largo I went to the John Pennecamp Park and visited the Dive shop there. It was there that I learned of the accident. I can report what I learned from the employee in the shop but I don't want to be blasted for giving out what might be inacurate info.

where's frank:
Does anyone have any facts???

You can try reading the entire thread (cubersome but informative) to get the facts as well as the flavor of this thread but the informative posts where:

Page #11 Post #108
Page #13 Post #126
Page #18 Post #178

I posted a follow up article on page #31 post #309 but that reporter "seemed" to be trying to find a story on the local rescue authorities.

To date, I'm not sure if anything definitive has been released. As I said, you can go throught he entire thread to form your own "Lessons to be learned". Suffice to say, the thread seemed to center on the following:

a. Diver's responsibilities
b. Dive Operator's responsibilities (which morphed into another general discussion thread).
c. Local rescue responsiblities (briefly touched on).

At this point, everthing than can be discussed has been discussed ... with the exception of :alien_2: alien intervention ... :wink:

PM me if you want any additional info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom