(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just informed this morning about a terrible event that took place yesterday in Key Largo. I'm trying to find out any other information about this accident. If anyone knows anymore about this, please post.

I have been asked to edit this post pending new information

We were on AquaNuts II that day, and just finished part one of our Deep Dive Class for Blue Planet Dive in Pt. St. Lucie, and heard the Coast Guard call if boats nearby could help, I didn't hear any more-- We stayed looking around the site but no luck.

Vickie, thanks for posting that. It reminds me why a diver should never surface alone.

My condolences to the family and friends.
Gratitude to those that searched for the diver.

Dot Wethington:
We were on AquaNuts II that day, and just finished part one of our Deep Dive Class for Blue Planet Dive in Pt. St. Lucie, and heard the Coast Guard call if boats nearby could help, I didn't hear any more-- We stayed looking around the site but no luck. Divers need to remember the cardinal rule-- Stay with your buddy!!!! and if a problem-- come up With your buddy!!! and the guy should not have released the buoy float until rescued!!!! The currents are too strong to fight!!! God help him and his family. I'm sure there will be an investigation and Divers Alert Network will post another case on their website about "What went Wrong"

Thanks Dot... Paul was giving me the details of this horrible event this morning at the marina. What sad thing to have happened.

Dot Wethington:
We were on AquaNuts II that day, and just finished part one of our Deep Dive Class for Blue Planet Dive in Pt. St. Lucie, and heard the Coast Guard call if boats nearby could help, I didn't hear any more-- We stayed looking around the site but no luck. Divers need to remember the cardinal rule-- Stay with your buddy!!!! and if a problem-- come up With your buddy!!! and the guy should not have released the buoy float until rescued!!!! The currents are too strong to fight!!! God help him and his family. I'm sure there will be an investigation and Divers Alert Network will post another case on their website about "What went Wrong"

Until further investigations and results present themselves, please keep your opinions to yourself. You never know what happens until an "official" report is filed. This is where the family's feelings get hurt and many people get bent out of shape. Along with this same line is where and uncountable number of arguments has occurred over the accident analysis and deaths that occurred in the Mexican Cenotes in December of this year.

KidK9:
Until further investigations and results present themselves, please keep your opinions to yourself. You never know what happens until an "official" report is filed. This is where the family's feelings get hurt and many people get bent out of shape. Along with this same line is where and uncountable number of arguments has occurred over the accident analysis and deaths that occurred in the Mexican Cenotes in December of this year.

Just keep in mind that She was there!!!!

I know how sensitive this thread can become with different views and speculations. Keep the bigger picture in mind too... This is how we "divers" learn in order to not repeat this divers same fate. He might not have done anything wrong, he could have had equipment failure or even a heart attack at the surface. No one is saying he was wrong in whatever actions he took, nor is anyone saying the Captain of the 6 pack was at fault. We are only trying to learn of the events that occurred that day. Think of it as a discovery search.

Are there any stats on diver fatalities by locale? Does DAN do a breakdown like that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom