(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a terrible event! Thanks for sharing it, Vickie. Any word on where the diver was from or what six-pack was involved?

My condolences, thoughts and prayers for the family and all those whose lives were touched.

-Grier

I'm only keeping the famliy in mind. Please do the same. Dont discount my age of 25 as a hindrance to diving. I have met many older divers with no "diving wisdom".

KidK9:
I'm only keeping the famliy in mind. Please do the same. Dont discount my age of 25 as a hindrance to diving. I have met many older divers with no "diving wisdom".

Age certainly has NOTHING to do with being a good diver or a bad diver. I think your first post might have just seemed a little on the defensive side, which is totally justified. Any time something so terrible happens people react differently. Some want to place blame, others just want to embrace the family, I would like to know more. I put this information out here for us to learn about the events that took place. Remember also, not only is the family grieving, but rest assured, I bet there's a boat Captain and crew out there that's not dealing so well.

I'm sure more facts will start trickling through soon. Let's just keep this one on track guys, please no bashing.

It's sad to see tradgedies such as this occur, and it is especially tough on those who were present when the accident occured. My thoughts go out to the family, friends, and those who were present.

i've done a lot of searching for news, but it seems this hasn't hit the press yet

my thoughts go with his family and friends

Here's a news link http://keysnews.com/ still nothing on this accident yet...

Amen, I think Scuba Board is a great site to get thoughts together and learn and be sensitive to sensitive issues. We all learn from this. Dive Safe everyone. Vickie couldn't say it any better here.

I think the Diver's Alert Network does have a site and book about diving accidents and true life cases and outcomes. It is probably a good book to read and note all the scenarios and what "can" happen. Anyone have any input on any area of Diver safety and avoiding problems, please add more to this thread-- it is an important subject. Thanks for all input - it helps everyone learn more.

It could happen to anyone. That's the scary part.

Dot, DAN does have a book that they put out yearly. The one I just got list injuries from 2002. It takes them some time to get all the data together. It's actually an eye opening book. Silly thing have killed divers in the past. I almost can't believe some of the stories in there. Panic plays a terrible role when you mix it with water. No one knows yet what really happened to our Key Largo diver, I'd rather not speculate until the report is in.

Please, pray for his family, friends and the army of divers and Coast Guard that searched for him. Like KidK9 said, we never know whose readng this thread. If it were my husband who lost his life, I certainly would want only the facts out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom