$500 for OW course, I supply my own mask, fins, snorkel and booties. 5 nts/2.5 hrs ea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the market will set the price.

Yes.

If he's not getting enough students he will lower his price to stimulate demand.

No.

The market sets the price... but price doesn't always set demand. Especially in something like scuba diving where demand is relatively price-inelastic on the low end.

In fact, to paraphrase from Samuel Johnson "Pricing is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Where I live most OW courses are $450 to $500. This includes 2 trips on a dive boat either in Miami or in Key Largo. I am going to assume if someone does the checkout dives in a free lake or quarry the price would be different. But with the beautiful 86 degree Atlantic Pond who would want to do that.

Is this a reasonable price? Reasonable number of hours? The class is 2.5 hrs one night a week for 4 weeks. PADI. Guy has a good reputation around the area.

That's pretty much what I have heard is typical here in Atlanta, too. That price would likely include your checkout dives in the quarry in Pelham, though you would have to pay the quarry's entrance fee.

100% In-the-shop (not e-learning), pool, and open water dives, BC, tanks & regs (for pool) is $229 in Western NY..... minimum of 6 Sundays @ 3.5 hrs. ea.

Student supplies fins, mask, snorkel, weight belt/weights for pool sessions, and all gear for open water, plus open water site fees (gate)....

no extra charge for extra time in classroom or pool.....

Yes.

No.

The market sets the price... but price doesn't always set demand. Especially in something like scuba diving where demand is relatively price-inelastic on the low end.

In fact, to paraphrase from Samuel Johnson "Pricing is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Kinda. I said it would stimulate his demand...not create market demand. In effect, him lowering prices will likely cut into another competitors sales. But not quantifiably increase the amount of overall demand.

SSI I think is $550 for the class, 3 class/pool sessions and 5 owd over 3-4 weeks
you supply the mask fins snorkel and booties for my area anyways

100% In-the-shop (not e-learning), pool, and open water dives, BC, tanks & regs (for pool) is $229 in Western NY..... minimum of 6 Sundays @ 3.5 hrs. ea.

Student supplies fins, mask, snorkel, weight belt/weights for pool sessions, and all gear for open water, plus open water site fees (gate)....

no extra charge for extra time in classroom or pool.....

This is an example of a shop making money off of the mandatory weight purchase and the gear rental which I am sure pushes it over the $400 mark.

Kinda. I said it would stimulate his demand...not create market demand. In effect, him lowering prices will likely cut into another competitors sales. But not quantifiably increase the amount of overall demand.

That's the problem with running a business in such a way that you actually have competition.

:D

$650 +/- over 4/5 days with classroom, pool and OW dives, all gear supplied and run by a reputable dive centre in my region.

Prices are less with e-learning but then you have to pay direct to PADI for the e-learning.

This is an example of a shop making money off of the mandatory weight purchase and the gear rental which I am sure pushes it over the $400 mark.

for the uneducated, absolutely.... seen some real bad stuff regarding that.

IIRC, their rentals for the OW aren't too bad. Just need to avoid equipment purchases....

FWIW - They have no requirement to rent/purchase from them during classes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom