58 years old, looking for fins to help with efficiency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case some clarification is necessary: Scubapro sells both Jet fins, and Twin Jet fins. There is a world of difference between them.

So if anyone is saying Jet when they are thinking Twin Jet....

Your heavy, lower feet might be a totally different issue. You may very well need to adjust your weighting/trim.
You have been diving enough that you should be able to answer this question without being in the water:
"Do you feel that if you stop finning/kicking, you will sink?"

If so, you are at the least out of trim, and possibly overweighted.

Belt or ingegrated? All at your waist, or are some weights higher up in trim pockets?
The more unnecessary weight you add to a belt or to a waist pouch, the more you are moving away from your center of balance and driving your butt down.

Integrated weights. I have the travel aqualung Zuma. No way to add weight higher up other than on the top of the tank.
Yes, mostly I do feel like I'm sinking when I'm not kicking. I only have around 50 dives so I'm not that good yet but I think that my Oceanic Vipers are not stiff enough and a bit heavy with my 3mil boots. Thanks for the input.

!) You live in snow covered Utah -- not much local diving for 6 months
Join a swim & exercise club- I strongly suspect that you need "toning" of your legs and respiratory system
swim with out fins to strengthen your legs and improve your respiratory system

2) Then considerer fins.-- long, short, narrow, wide,. with holes and with out holes- rubber straps -spring straps

In the early 1940s- 78 years ago Owen Potter Churchill introduced the "Swimming Fins' to the US- only 940 pairs were sold - all on the west coast of the US. In 1950 I purchased my first pair of Churchills for $9.95 from the major supplier Abacombre & Fitch in NYC.

Diving has certainly progressed sice that initial introduction

I always preferred the non adjustable extremely stiff as a board no longer produced "Duck Feet" designed and developed by Arthur "Bud" Browne- Last produced by Voit Rubber Company many years ago-- but they are out of the question. I used them for many years for SCUBA (which was called lung diving in those days of yesteryear) and for spearfishing when I would spend hours in the water and often swim for miles hopefully dragging a sizable fish on the way back like @Hank49

But those were the days of yesteryear ….

When Georges Beuchat's "Jet fins" were imported by the new company SCUBA Pro appeared in the early 1960s I was given a pair to test by one of the company's founders Dick Bonin The fin was wide , adjustable and made of black rubber as opposed to long slim non adjustable and made of pure gum rubber. At that time I had been free diving (goggling) for over 15 years and I had legs a big as a telephone pole and just as hard- so the Jets offered little resistance and were easy to over swim and bend at about 90 degrees underwater with serious kicking- This past summer It was hot so I was in shorts - My teen age granddaughter commented "Grampa you sure have muscular legs!" I suspect @Hank49 will some day receive the same type comment

I would suggest that you serious examine and consider the fins proposed by @Ayisha -in post # 27, the UDT fin. A very modern version of the original Jet fins molded from space age material with very modern up grades and colors. Ayisha is a seasoned diver I would recommend as one who is a very knowledgeable and experienced. and I certainly appreciate her recommendation on fins !

Many years ago Dr Tony Christensen was working on his doctorate at UCLA - his dissertation was and evaluation of current swimming fins, It was discovered here is no universal diving fin - each has its own unique function in diving as dictated by length , shape, vents and stiffness ( or flexibility)

When my son Sam IV was a high school student in 1982, 36 years ago, he had a s human performance project - he chose "swim fin performance. " He set up a very crude but efficient evaluation harness and enlisted his youthful dive buddies including his father test as subjects. His evaluation disclosed that the original Mares Plana designed and developed by the great Herb Van Der Pol was over all the best fin for free diving as well as SCUBA. I began using "Planas" alternately with my "Jets"

Son Dr. Sam IV is currently director of the ER & Hyperbaric department at the local regional hospital,
In 1993 - 25 years ago I authored a 3 part article for the Historical Diving Society (HDS) titled "A short history of diving fins ." If interested how it all began it is suggested that you research and read this article

3) You have a lot of suggestions on fins - some from "experienced' divers other from rank beginners -- take your choice

4) In closing I would recommend that you do some serious swimming and cardiac exercise all thus winter then begin your search in SLC or on line when the snow is melted and "spring has sprung"

Good L:uck,

Sam Miller, 111

@Akimbo

Hmmm, so if I downhill ski in the winter and run in the summer now that I quit cycling after a bad, bad crash makes my legs weak? It could be, it coild be.

...I would suggest that you serious examine and consider the fins proposed by @Ayisha -in post # 27, the UDT fin. A very modern version of the original Jet fins molded from space age material with very modern up grades and colors. Ayisha is a seasoned diver I would recommend as one who is a very knowledgeable and experienced. and I certainly appreciate her recommendation on fins !

Thanks Dr Sam. Miss you! Hope you visit soon. Of course I mean after our sure to be brutal winter. :)

I hated all my heavy fins that never fit well and caused a wobble that would strain my calves or ankles after diving for a while or against a current. I switched to my current fins and voila, the issue was nonexistent.

Fifty dives is plenty.
Grab a non integrated bc with a hard plastic bakpak
fill it with lead shot and you will become a master next dive

As Pete mentioned earlier (and I'm surprised not more people have), Deep 6 Eddy fins are an excellent choice. If you were (or anyone else is) in the Seattle area, I received a set of demo units (with the exception of XXL).

I love mine as I don't know what material @cerich has come up with, but they are barely positive in salt water, neutral in fresh, super light for travel, and provide more thrust than my Hollis F1's (that I use in twinsets and a dry suit that I hope to never dive again).

Hmmm, so if I downhill ski in the winter and run in the summer now that I quit cycling after a bad, bad crash makes my legs weak? It could be, it coild be.

It might simply be the muscles you use while diving are not the same muscles you use while doing your other sports.

I swim with a swim club and there will be long distance runners and cyclists who join because they want to get into triathlons. They show up really buff looking and you’d think they’d beat everyone else, but they struggle! Sure, technique is one thing, and breathing, but they complain how their muscles ache because they’ve never used those particular muscles in that way before. They also tend to cramp up a lot!

Same story with a regular swimmer I know. She tried hiking one day and couldn’t believe what a tough time she had hiking, considering her fitness level with swimming.

I’m going to suggest that your running and skiing fitness does not necessarily translate into finning fitness. Try swimming laps in a pool with fins.

@Marty Bess

Good ole Marty & Bess from snow bound Utah the dive capital of the world, responded

"Hmmm, so if I downhill ski in the winter and run in the summer now that I quit cycling after a bad, bad crash makes my legs weak? It could be, it coild be"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes sir it could be !
I suspect an exercise professional would inform you of muscle groups

"'Swimming utilizes distinctive muscle groups "

Different from skiing at Park city : Different from bike riding along the great Salt Lake

KMAG YOYO

It might simply be the muscles you use while diving are not the same muscles you use while doing your other sports.

I swim with a swim club and there will be long distance runners and cyclists who join because they want to get into triathlons. They show up really buff looking and you’d think they’d beat everyone else, but they struggle! Sure, technique is one thing, and breathing, but they complain how their muscles ache because they’ve never used those particular muscles in that way before. They also tend to cramp up a lot!

Same story with a regular swimmer I know. She tried hiking one day and couldn’t believe what a tough time she had hiking, considering her fitness level with swimming.

I’m going to suggest that your running and skiing fitness does not necessarily translate into finning fitness. Try swimming laps in a pool with fins.

Agree

Back
Top Bottom