5mm semidry overkill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife (who dives very cold) and I are off to Bonaire this Friday (4/29) and I have been trying to find a good option for an exposure suit for her. I have gotten some great advice on this forum about adding a hood (which I have ordered), but I still think she might like a 5mm suit (she has a 3/2 which she finds to be cold even in a warm pool), and I found a great deal on a Camaro 5mm semi dry. Will this be complete overkill in Bonaire compared to a standard 5mm?

My fiancee used a two piece 5mm in bonaire when we were there in december. We did 3 dives a day in average. I'm not the kind of guy who gets easily cold, and I was feeling comfortable in a 5mm farmer john. She can feel a little hot in the first dives, but you can always rent a suit if it's unbearable.

Get her a Drysuit. While I have not yet been to bonaire I Dive my Drysuit year round. NIce thing is if your cold add a layer if your too warm remove a layer. It's nice to personalize to you. Although it's goin to be a little more expensive You might be able to find a nice used drysuit for about the price a New Semi-Dry will cost.

(she has a 3/2 which she finds to be cold even in a warm pool),

How warm is a warm pool ? We dove Bonaire the first week of May last year and the water was 82 deg. I wore a 4/3 Neosport. Probably didn't really need the 4/3 but I don't like being cold either. The 5mm might not be overkill in the water but if it's a little harder to get on because of the semi-dry seals that could be an issue. Some of the divesites require a short walk. Any time spent above water in a black wetsuit can become uncomfortable.

I am the world champion at getting cold. I took a drysuit to Fiji, fer chrissakes.

I just returned from a week in Cozumel (water temps were 79 degrees F), where I wore a 3 mil jumpsuit for the first day and froze.

I switched to a 5 mil Aqualung Aqua Stretch (one of their super-stretchy suits whitch fits better than a custom suit) and a neoprene cap, and was perfect.

I'd toyed with the thought of taking my 5 mil Yazbeck freediving suit, which is a semi-dry suit, and was glad I didn't - I'd have cooked and it woulld have been a PITA to put on in the 88 degree F air temperatures.

All the best, James

My wife (who dives very cold) and I are off to Bonaire this Friday (4/29) and I have been trying to find a good option for an exposure suit for her. I have gotten some great advice on this forum about adding a hood (which I have ordered), but I still think she might like a 5mm suit (she has a 3/2 which she finds to be cold even in a warm pool), and I found a great deal on a Camaro 5mm semi dry. Will this be complete overkill in Bonaire compared to a standard 5mm?

I freeze in an 84F pool in a 3mm. I dive a 7mm for 84 and below. I still get chilled on three dives. If your wife is always cold, a 5mm won't be enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom