5thD-X DVDs - Any Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allenw1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am wondering if anyone has seen the 5thD-X DVD's including:
- Essentials
- Intro to Tech

Thoughts?
Comments?

Thank you!

Skip Essentials, its partly redundant with Intro to Tech.

Intro to Tech has all you need to get started (even at just the recreational level). Its great. A few things are different from what GUE teaches. E.g. do you show the gauge and make a team decision on an OOA exit or not. But they are pretty trivial differences. The big picture of trim, kicks, and use of the long hose is the same.

The Technical DVD is also very good, they don't cover the same material.

I wonder how it would compare with the PADI Tec Rec video I watched yesterday. LOL

JeffG:
I wonder how it would compare with the PADI Tec Rec video I watched yesterday. LOL
You soooo beat me to it. I must be slipping.

Piece O work isn't it?

For contrast OP, you need to watch all three of these videos and decide where and with whom you want to spend your money from this point on.

At least the padi tech cowboys didn't make it out of the pool. It's way safer that way. :rofl3:

Not sure of the DIR-ness of 5th D :D but they're well worth the investment.

There's a lot of discussion of both videos when they were released.

Essentials of Recreational Diving - the DVD

While there is overlap between Essentials and Intro-to-Tech DVD since the foundational skills are the same, I did enjoy the "common problems" in the Essentials DVD. The Intro-to-Tech DVD provides additional clarity to the skills with the use of a grease pencil to highlight key areas.

Steve R:
You soooo beat me to it. I must be slipping.

Piece O work isn't it?

For contrast OP, you need to watch all three of these videos and decide where and with whom you want to spend your money from this point on.

At least the padi tech cowboys didn't make it out of the pool. It's way safer that way. :rofl3:
Yes, it is a piece of work (The PADI video). And yes I've watched all 3. Thats what makes the PADI video so funny.

Kneeling on the bottom of the pool to do valve drills and having your buddy hold you down while launching a lift bag is too funny.

I think all tech divers should watch both the Intro to Tech and the PADI Tec Rec videos.

JeffG:
Yes, it is a piece of work (The PADI video). And yes I've watched all 3. Thats what makes the PADI video so funny.

Kneeling on the bottom of the pool to do valve drills and having your buddy hold you down while launching a lift bag is too funny.

I think all tech divers should watch both the Intro to Tech and the PADI Tec Rec videos.

PADI was very scientific about their apporach to tech diving, they hired DSAT :D Then proceeded to butcher every appropriate diving skill on their DVD - even the recreational skills. :shakehead

I especially liked loosening the harness, lifting the tanks to reach the valves while kneeling on the bottom. The five minutes they spent explaining stage drops was also time well spent :(

I had to watch the 5thD-X videos again just to make counteract the subliminal messages in the PADI Tec Rec one.

rjack321:
PADI was very scientific about their apporach to tech diving, they hired DSAT :D Then proceeded to butcher every appropriate diving skill on their DVD - even the recreational skills. :shakehead

I especially liked loosening the harness, lifting the tanks to reach the valves while kneeling on the bottom. The five minutes they spent explaining stage drops was also time well spent :(

I had to watch the 5thD-X videos again just to make counteract the subliminal messages in the PADI Tec Rec one.
The sad thing about the PADI video is that they talk about needing a higher level of skill for technical diving...but they never show it. Just some slob sitting on the bottom of a pool, playing with his knob. (no gloves either).

It (the PADI Video) could of been good. I didn't agree 100% with their gear choices, but they weren't way out in left field either. The production quality was fine too.

Oh well....these things happen.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom