5thD-X DVDs - Any Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
The sad thing about the PADI video is that they talk about needing a higher level of skill for technical diving...but they never show it. Just some slob sitting on the bottom of a pool, playing with his knob. (no gloves either).

It (the PADI Video) could of been good. I didn't agree 100% with their gear choices, but they weren't way out in left field either. The production quality was fine too.

Oh well....these things happen.

The 2 things about the PADI DVD gear choices that I thought were truly wacked was the dual inflator (with one stuffed behind the back) and the deco tank markings. Some of the other stuff was understandably just "different".

The good thing about the 5thDX DVDs is that they don't dink around talking about the gear. "Dress for Success" does that quite well already. The grease pencil overlays on the skills is helpful to understand the narration.

I thought the 5thD-X Tech DVD was a bit monotonous. "Intro to Tech" is their best work IMO

JeffG:
The sad thing about the PADI video is that they talk about needing a higher level of skill for technical diving...but they never show it. Just some slob sitting on the bottom of a pool, playing with his knob. (no gloves either).

:popcorn:

I must agree with you though, you get great visibility and the proper camera angles in pools when everything is planted firmly on the bottom...and I do mean everything.

JeffG:
Yes, it is a piece of work (The PADI video). And yes I've watched all 3. Thats what makes the PADI video so funny.

Kneeling on the bottom of the pool to do valve drills and having your buddy hold you down while launching a lift bag is too funny.

I think all tech divers should watch both the Intro to Tech and the PADI Tec Rec videos.

I thought the proper way to shoot a bag in a pool was with your buddy holding you down.....and besides how would he hold you down if you were mid-water and not kneeling...sheesh.

To address the OP's question: I agree that the Intro to Tech DVD is the best one, and I think buying it alone is worth while. But I've had several people say they really appreciated some of the basic things that are on the Essentials DVD that aren't on the Intro to Tech one. They aren't entirely redundant.

Well, after reading this thread, I thought shoot, I will go ahead and purchase it...but their website is broken. No price is displayed once it is entered into the shopping cart. Fix it, and I will buy a copy :)

If you haven't done so already, I'd go mention that in here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Peter_C:
Well, after reading this thread, I thought shoot, I will go ahead and purchase it...but their website is broken. No price is displayed once it is entered into the shopping cart. Fix it, and I will buy a copy :)

Did you do it off the 5thD site or the Customflix.com

Also did you notice the note:
Please do not order the DVD from this page unless you are a Instructor or Dive Store. Click the link below and order the DVD from Custom Flixs, our supplier directly. Orders from us will not be completed. Only order from here if you are a Instructor or Dive Store and we will give you that pricing level. The public will be charged full price if ordered from this page.

ORDER HERE

See More About the Into To Tech DVD Cost: $32.95 plus shipping

Purchased both, and whilst essentials is not a complete subset of intro there is substabtial overlap.

Thus, mininal benefit to owning both

I ordered the Essentials DVD before starting this thread. I viewed it during lunch, and it's really good. There is no verbal narration with the Essentials, but often key points are emphasized with screen titles. I am sure I will get my money's worth after multiple viewings.

Highly recommended!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom