60 Ft??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
Metalmat's post said he planned to make these dives in St. John, USVI and will very likely be diving with a divemaster who will likely base decisions on where to dive based on the group's experience. We're talking about 85 degree water with good visibility. St. John is an American island and the dive shops are run by Americans and they do a pretty good job there.
Thanks for all the input I was really just wondering where i heard the 60ft rule when i was in aruba we were down at 60 and it was fine

TheRedHead:
Pressure and volume are related, of course, and divers think about pressure, not volume. People talk about "turn pressure." Your spg or computer shows a reading of pressure, in metric, bar not psi. Perhaps you instructor didn't stress gas planning, but the little rule does work, just like Lamont's battlefield caculations.

When I think about gas planning I think about volume. not pressure. When I talk about turn pressure it is based upon how much volume I have at that pressure.
That rule may work but it does not mean it is the best way to do it.
You go down to 100 feet with a 19cf tank in it with 500 psi + 100psix10 and see how well that rule works then.

Packhorse:
That rule may work but it does not mean it is the best way to do it.
You go down to 100 feet with a 19cf tank in it with 500 psi + 100psix10 and see how well that rule works then.

Certainly not, but it was written for the average Joe who can't calculate their SAC, who probably can't even covert depth to ATA. They need battlefield calcs. They're not going to learn formal gas planning as in fundies or Advanced Nitrox. Mostly, they're taking the class to dive the Speigel Grove.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you about what they *should* learn, but the people I took my class with (and it was a large class) were taking it solely for the LDS upcoming Key Largo trip so they could dive the Grove. They didn't care about it. The only thing they cared about was the gas they needed to have in their AL 80s when they surface in PSI. We go around and around on scubaboard about the quality of dive education, but that doesn't change the basic nature of people. My buddy and I were the only ones who cared about it.

TheRedHead:
Metalmat's post said he planned to make these dives in St. John, USVI and will very likely be diving with a divemaster who will likely base decisions on where to dive based on the group's experience. We're talking about 85 degree water with good visibility. St. John is an American island and the dive shops are run by Americans and they do a pretty good job there.

He also mentions Dutch Springs before St. John's. I don't see where he intends to test his limits.

Packhorse:
I dissagree. If you are take a deep dive specialty you should be taught how to dive safely in those depths.
The proper formulas are not all that hard.
SAC = volume of air used / average atmospheric pressure / time

air required in volume (not pressure)= SAC X atmospheric pressure X time

It is ashame that more instructors do not teach the "optional" items. I was fortunate to have one who teaches all of the math from sac to gas blending in his courses. But I have to agree with Redhead. The world we live in is so fast paced. Most divers don't even know what sac/rmv are. From live-aboards (across the pond from your home town) to the many dive operations here in Fl, you could go aboard, take a poll and probably not find 1 diver do did a proper plan. I would even guess that most would not be able to define sac.

If we could at least get those divers to use Redheads quick solution, we would have a significant increase in diver safety or at least awareness!

I am going to have to search for Lamont's battlefield posts...

Cheers

Gilless, the quick and dirty formula was presented in the SSI Deep Diver course and the instructor did talk about it and how to use it to determine the minimum pressure allowed to begin an ascent. I think if the math and formulae were taught, it would need to be supplemented by an easy to remember quick rule because a lot of divers wouldn't retain it because they don't dive often enough.

Excellent point Redhead. Probably should be part of the scuba tune-up program as well.

Greetings Metalmat - didn't mean to hijack your thread. First let me say Welcome to Scuba Diving, it's a gas!

As others have said, there are a lot of reasons to take your time before going deeper than the 60' mark. I recommend that you consider taking an AOW course from an instructor that you trust. There are a variety of courses that would help all divers. You have to choose what is best for you (and your wallet, i'v been broke ever since i started diving).

The AOW course can be fun, and it gets you more time in the water with an instructor. You would do a deep dive in that class and your instructor should help you understand how narcosis impacts you at depth. It affects us all differently and can affect us differently on different days. If you don't get Dive Training magazine, swing by your LDS and pick up a free copy. There is a good article on the impact of oxygen and nitrogen in this months edition. You should also be able to get a free subscription for 6months as they give one to all newly certified divers.

Dive Safe and have Fun

Cheers

Excellent point Redhead. Probably should be part of the scuba tune-up program as well.

Greetings Metalmat - didn't mean to hijack your thread. First let me say Welcome to Scuba Diving, it's a gas!

As others have said, there are a lot of reasons to take your time before going deeper than the 60' mark. I recommend that you consider taking an AOW course from an instructor that you trust. There are a variety of courses that would help all divers. You have to choose what is best for you (and your wallet, i'v been broke ever since i started diving).

The AOW course can be fun, and it gets you more time in the water with an instructor. You would do a deep dive in that class and your instructor should help you understand how narcosis impacts you at depth. It affects us all differently and can affect us differently on different days. If you don't get Dive Training magazine, swing by your LDS and pick up a free copy. There is a good article on the impact of oxygen and nitrogen in this months edition. You should also be able to get a free subscription for 6months as they give one to all newly certified divers.

Dive Safe and have Fun

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom