$600 too much for certification??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it a typical class or is it one with a more comprehensive approach?

$20 is too much for the typical class today, but if you have an excellent class, $600 is a bargain. How can you tell the difference? Ask questions.

How do I find an above average course and how will I know I've found it?

Interview potential instructors. Most people never ask any questions beyond price. As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for." Excellent instructors will usually have a higher priced class for a number of reasons. The instructor is dedicated toward providing you all the time you need to master necessary knowledge and skills. Extra pool time can be expensive. Keep in mind; the instructor is trying to make a living. His time is valuable.

Consider alternatives. While many instructors teach through dive shops, some of the best are independent instructors or affiliated with colleges, universities or YMCA's.

Questions to ask the instructors:

How long have you been teaching? Most instructors improve over time. They learn new techniques and get ideas from other instructors and through experience to improve their classes.

Do you certify all your students? Only instructors who are in a hurry and care nothing about your safety will answer yes. You want an instructor who will require you to be safe and knowledgeable before issuing a c-card. An excellent instructor might tell you that he is willing to keep working with a student until the student either qualifies or gives up.

What skin diving skills will I learn? While there is some disagreement on this point, many professionals believe a solid foundation in skin diving will not only make you a better SCUBA diver, it will make learning SCUBA easier.

Will I learn confidence-building skills? There are some skills which have no direct application to a typical dive, but which do build your confidence as well as your abilities. This, combined with an understanding of the panic cycle, will make you much less likely to panic.

Do you teach the panic cycle? Panic is the most dangerous aspect of diving. Many instructors do not understand panic and believe there is no way to combat it. In actuality, panic is understood. It is though learning the panic cycle and by increasing skill levels that panic is avoided.

Do your students swim with their hands? This will let you know if the instructor pays attention to details. Good divers do not use their hands for swimming.

Do you work on trim? Divers should usually be horizontal in the water. Good instructors will see that students are striving towards good trim. Poor instructors often neglect it.

Do you overweight your students? Many instructors overweight students. It is not a good practice.

What method do you use to correctly weight your students? Any answer that does not involve actually getting in the water means you want to avoid that instructor.

How many people will be in my class? Small classes are better. You'll have more individual attention. Unless the instructor is using certified assistants, more than four students are difficult to watch.

How many certified assistants will you be using? Unless the class is relatively large (more than 4 students) this should not be an issue. An instructor should have a certified Divemaster or Assistant Instructor for every two students over four. There are times when divers working on their Divemaster or Assistant Instructor certifications assist with a class. This is normal and not an issue, but they do not count toward the assistants an instructor should have when working with larger classes.

Will I be learning skills kneeling on the pool bottom or mid-water? This question is not critical, but will let you know if you've found an instructor who has a great deal on the ball. The over whelming majority of instructors (even good instructors) teach skills kneeling on the bottom. Don't eliminate instructors who do. Some instructors have realized your mask will flood while you are swimming, not when you are sitting on the bottom. You need to learn skills in the manner in which you'll be using them.

Do you dive for fun or just when you are teaching? Instructors who've stopped diving for fun are burned out.

Questions to ask yourself:

Is the instructor patient? While talking with your potential instructor, you should be getting a feel for his personality. Patience is an important quality for an instructor. You want to avoid instructors with a drill sergeant demeanor.

Would I be happier learning from a man or a woman? Only you can answer that question, but in general it is not usually a serious consideration. There are excellent instructors and there are poor instructors. Men and women fall into both groups.

Excellent classes are worth a great deal more than poor ones.

You show your location as Alaska. What's the temp in Fairbanks today, like 12F degrees? Hmmm. Gotta say I'd probably charge more than $900.00 to get in that water. Or maybe you're doing your checkout dives up in the Bering Straight off a crab boat. A little bit 'o chop I would guess.

That $600. course sounds like a bargain...local prices here are:
ow course-$269.still need to buy crewpak/dvd@$95.+personal gear(mask/snkl/boots/fins)
dry suit speciality course-$200.
ow training dives/w rental tanks-bcd-weights-$220.
dry suit rental for weekend- $150
Total $839.
You still have to pay for entry to quarry or boat fees still.I see the OP is in Alaska.I applaud the lds for training properly for their local dive conditions by offering the ow course with a dry suit certification.They should raise their prices ..

Last edited:
My center does OW for 220 euros (ıncluding 5 classroom, 5 pool, 4 OW dives, transfers, rental equipment, manual and certification). Water never gets below 21 degrees Celsius so we never use dry suits for students.

Prices vary tremendously regionally and also within the same region.

Is it too high? Only you can answer, based on the local market and your willingness to pay.

If it's an all-in price including the 4 required dives, and rental equipment, (excluding your own mask & fins) I would have expected it to run between 350 & 500 dollars on the east coast. Given that the dry suit course in bundled in, it seems fairly reasonable to me. But then again it isn't my money.

My OW Pool Session (weekend class) was $225 (included cert card fee from padi)
The book/video kit was $80
The open water dives at the quarry was $160
The gear rental for the weekend was $100
Quarry fee was $20 per day for 2 days so $40 (not paid to LDS)

Total to be Padi Open Water Dive Certified = $605

This did not include my personal gear that I bought that was needed to get OW certified.

As for the dry-suit class the course is $135 plus $50 for the gear rental. So you would be at almost $800 for the same if you went to my LDS.

In my opinion $600 is a good price if it includes everything needed to get OW and Dry-Suit Certified. If not, then no, it is not a good deal. So I will concur with the group here and say it DEPENDS.

If that is the only shop for a 1000 miles and you really want it, then it is fair. If there are dive shops on every block, chances are it is too steep.

(As others have said, it also depends on what is included.)

I think too that people don't realize other things that factor into course fees. Stores also have mortgage payments, rent, etc. Utilities , equipment to buy, replace and maintain. Payroll , taxes....the list goes on! Depending on the volume of courses they do $600 may not stretch too far! If you think its not a fair price then check around, but as others have said price may not have anything to do with the quality of instruction you may receive ! Good luck and get the most out of you classes as you can....

You show your location as Alaska. What's the temp in Fairbanks today, like 12F degrees? Hmmm. Gotta say I'd probably charge more than $900.00 to get in that water. Or maybe you're doing your checkout dives up in the Bering Straight off a crab boat. A little bit 'o chop I would guess.
I dunno - I don't live in Fairbanks. Current temp here in Anchorage is about +2C.

FWIW, a second shop here in town charges $800 (complete). The first one charges $900. Like the OP, both are in Alaska. So, if he is getting a course for $600 complete - with drysuit cert, that's a good deal on price IF the training is quality.

OP: Which shop are you getting the $600 quote from?

My certification cost

175 - pool session
275 - open water session
75 - class materials
350 - Mask/Snorkle/Fins/weights/dive log/booties
280 - Condo rental in Destin.
20 - Boat crew tip

1175.00 - Total

Then I Bought extras
Wetsuit -3mm -165.00
Dive Computer - 450.00
Regulator/octopus - 400

Diving has a high start up cost and then you start planning dive vacations so get ready to get attached. If your 650 covers all the above then you got a deal as you can see i paid nearlly 1200 just to get certified, well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom