7 days in Bali -Tulamben or Lembongan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
We are trying to grab a sneaky 7 days in Bali in September. We already have Komodo liveaboard booked for next year, so thought we would opt for a land based trip this time.

We are considering at both Lembongan and Tulamben as options, but are open to other suggestions too. Our only stipulations are that we want to base ourselves in one place and would want three dives a day on Nitrox. Not big on muck diving. Love reefs and wrecks and we are comfortable in current, but would like some relaxed 'easy' dives too.

Any input would be most welcome.
Thanks

For me:
The best part about Tulamben is the muck diving..some of the best in Indonesia.
The best part about Lembongan is the coral and potential for big things. September is the middle of Mola2 season.

You are not big on muck diving and only want to stay in one area. I am pretty sure Two-fish fills Nitrox.

Seems easy to me.

Reactions: Heg
For me:
The best part about Tulamben is the muck diving..some of the best in Indonesia.
The best part about Lembongan is the coral and potential for big things. September is the middle of Mola2 season.

You are not big on muck diving and only want to stay in one area. I am pretty sure Two-fish fills Nitrox.

Seems easy to me.

And me, now you put it like that:wink:. And yes -having done a bit of research ,Two fish are the only shop on the island that seem to offer Nitrox.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 06:03 PM ----------

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 06:05 PM ----------

any idea of what sea temps we can expect? I've searched online and have found everything from 28 degs c to 13 degs c !

Last edited:
any idea of what sea temps we can expect? I've searched online and have found everything from 28 degs c to 13 degs c !

That is correct. Cold water pushes up from the deep and mixes with the warm. A single dive can be a roller coaster of warm and cold.

Hello Heg,

If you are not so big on Muck diving, you can still explore Tulamben Area and do some of the reef diving in the area. The area itself is well-known for the USS Liberty Wreck, and I think if you havent done it in the past it should definitely be in your list of trips. If you are after a nice wall dive in Bali, Menjangan area which is located on the north western part of Bali will be suitable. Basically, the area in Bali mainland will have an easier dive than Lembongan (most of the time), so if you are looking for a bit of mixed of reef, wreck and some adventure dive, then I would highly recommend to start off from Menjangan. If time is a concern, at least dive early morning dive in the USS Liberty Wreck, you will have a chance to witness massive school of humphead parrot fish waking up in the wreck and venture out :) It is quite a scene to enjoy.

As for Lembongan, it offers a lot of sloping reef area where a lot of current can be expected. Make sure to always dive with an experienced dive master. Most of the local dive masters are experienced and dive the are thousands of times. They sometime can know and predict the current situation and make you enjoy the dive safely.

If you are only wish to base on location, then probably stay in Sanur or Kuta area, where you can enjoy the diving both in Tulamben and Nusa Penida / Lembongan. But keep in mind though, it will be a three hour dive to a location in Tulamben, and if you wish to do three dive, you should arrange an early morning pickup.

I hope there is enough information for you to digest :) If you need any help diving in Tulamben and Nusa Lembongan, or need more information pelase do not hesitate to ask.

nb:

Here is a teaser from a muck dive in Bali :) Crinoid Shrimp - ScubaBoard Gallery

Lembongan. Tulamben is good for the wreck, but if you want one location, Lembongan might suit you better. Check out Big Fish - they have a cool set up and as you are experienced divers, they will be able to get you to Blue Corner (with someone who knows the site and conditions very well!).

Lembongan for sure, Tulamben is more for muck diving/macro. More than enough sites there to keep you entertained for 7 days diving. I would disregard the option of staying in Sanur/Kuta - it's the worst of both worlds IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom