7 divers missing off Indonesian island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To confirm: speaking with one of the search and rescue team in Bali this evening: ONLY 5 DIVERS HAVE BEEN FOUND SO FAR

So we have one explanation of why 2 were not found with the other 5. Excerpting...

Story from Divers who survive :

they were drifting with the currets at Mangrove Point at Nusa Lembongan..and notice the Currents was very strong..then they decide to do a group ascend.. then shortly they found them self away from the reef..and kept drifted away from. cause that time the storm and limited visibility..they been drifting to open sea..and notice only 6 of them in the group..at the night what they do..like what they said..is just follow the currents then after one full day they been in the currents ..they fush to south part of Nusa Penida island and notice they close to Mnata Point... but that time the wave was so rough....

On saturday all of them fight for survive and helping each other to reach the cliff 4 of them could climb the Bank in mean time another 2 still fight with the waves who are still in water try to helping each other to reach the cliff..one of them reached it..but other one was taken away by waves.

This is a very good outcome, far better than I thought the result would be. Hopefully the other two will be also found alive. As I forecast yesterday, the only way they could be expected to be found alive was if they had made it ashore.

One thing I have noticed in a lot of missing diver searches (especially involving tides/currents), the people organising the search do not appear to have any idea of what the currents were doing at the time of the disappearance and afterwards. A simple thing to do is to drop a diver in the water and time for 10 minutes which direction they go and how far. Then you can extrapolate where they might be in xx minutes or xx hours. This is how a friend of ours was found on the North Coast of NSW when their boat broke its mooring and the crew on board did not notice the boat was drifting away.

Hoping that the other two can be found today.

Here's hoping a good result for the last two.

My buddy and I sometimes carry reef hooks for use under certain conditions. In unexpected strong or down current situations, can those with survival knowledge or training advise on whether a buddy pair should hook up and wait for conditions to improve or stick with the larger group even though they appear to be drifting downwards or somewhere unknown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom