750 lb hammerhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJTY:
Thanks. I love to fish. I keep a lot to eat, but I also throw a lot back ( too small, or out of reg.). For some reason, I feel that is ok. I am not sure about finning though. Is this accepted? I look think I will research this a bit.

Finning is not widely accepted, at least in our culture. It is seen as cruel and unusual punishment. Live sharks, have their fins cut off, and then dumped back into the ocean, leaving them to die. It would be like me hauling you out of the pool, cutting off your arms & legs and throwing you back...not the most pleasant thought.

I also love to fish, and anything that I keep I eat. I wouldn't keep a fish I wasn't going to eat. I also wouldn't bury the fish carcass, not sure what that is about...it seems a little strange to me.

I would have loved to have been able to swim with this beauty though.

If you think about it, in the end the shark is being put to some use. That's a whole lot of fertilizer they just put in the ground. And who knows, maybe the orange trees that grow near it will mak better oranges.

maybe a better use would be to leave it where it is and buy phosphate free fertilizier no?

Some majestic creatures just belong swimming in thier home. I would be far more impressed to see this animal swimming in the wild rather than hooked on a beach like that.

That is one big fish. What a shame to see it like that.

It's actually way more than sad. Why oh why can't countries that want to fish sharks for sport implement a tag and return practise?? They can still catch their sharks, they can still get their photos to proudly show their friends, but they actually do some good and help towards shark research and conservation. It works great in countries that have adopted it. Is it an ego thing? They don't want anyone else in the future catching 'their' shark?

One less shark swimming in the ocean :(

Those guys are a##hats. That shark has been cruising the area for some time, and was one of the top predators in the area. The next thing you know, more aggressive and troublesome bull sharks will take this creatures spot atop the food chain.

Just as a point of reference, this was not a deep sea catch, but in a relatively shallow area known for tarpon fishing. Boca Grande Pass is at the mouth of Charlotte Harbor, one of the very best fishing areas in the United States. When you remove a predator like this, the entire ecosystem will be disrupted.

Joe

Very sad. I'm surprised the newspaper didn't make reference to "removing a potential man-eating beast from the water." It would have been nice to see this in its environment. And as others have said, the waste becomes even more apparent by the fact they simply discarded the carcass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom