$8000 (not including flights) for 2 for a first Liveaboard- what’s your recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first live aboard recommendation would be Belize. Cayman would be second. After that pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean. You want to look for short flights and easy diving for your first trip. No need to go to the more exotic destinations like Indonesia or even the Red Sea as the diving will overwhelm you and you won’t see half of what is there and spend considerably more than you need to for a memorable experience.

The problem with the Cayman Aggressor is not being able to make the crossing, and without it, the diving just isn't that great. I was not happy with the Roatan diving or boat. I would return to the Bahamas in preference to either of them. T&C and Belize remain at the top of my list, and I want to check out the new BVI boat too.

So I recommend Belize. Varied topography (but had no wrecks), benign conditions, excellent Caribbean diving, and yet...I will warn you there are no guarantees you'll get quite what I did.

I haven't noticed if the Aggressor's have started stopping here, but in 2021 there was a wreck dive added right outside of Blackbird Caye on the Turneffe Atolls.

Belize’s Premiere Wreck Dive & Snorkel Site | The Witconcrete <--- has information on it, I believe at some point I read the family that owns blackbird were involved with making it happen. (not sure if that is true or not).

The problem with the Cayman Aggressor is not being able to make the crossing, and without it, the diving just isn't that great.

I'd love to do the Cayman Aggressor....as long as it made it to LC. It's too big of a risk for it not to make it there, so I always chicken out and do LCBR.

Isle Royale Charters in Isle Royale MI. You could have the whole boat to yourselves for a week on that budget.

@Rhw3

We pick destination based on what's on sale . Just an idea.

I picked my first LoB based on cost only because I have no idea what to expect 25yrs ago. But I did know I was not prone to sea sickness.
The most unpredictable on any LoB is the behaviour of fellow divers!

I would love to weigh in. $8K budget before airfare is quite healthy and opens up lots of options. I would like a bit more info prior to opining. Lots of great responses already, based on the limited info we have to work with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom