85 ft Dive on 13 ft Pony Almost Ends Badly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Today we were snorkeling on some wrecks in 85 ft and my buddy accidentally drops his weightbelt.

So we yell for the boat, he comes close and the operator presses MOB on the GPS and I get in. We run up current a little and I grab my 13 cu-ft pony bottle and a reg and decide to swim down and try to find the lost belt on the bottom in 85 ft with around 2500 psi.

The other 4 freedivers are drifting off to the north and continuing to spearfish. There is one charter dive boat on site who we spoke to previously who has divers in the water and he sees us run up current and drop me in with the pony (at least I think he sees me).

I assume my boat will stay above me and follow my bubbles and “be there” for when I surface (hopefully wearing two weightbelts – and no BC of course).

Surprisingly, I quickly find the belt, put it on and begin a swimming ascent. I had intended to test the dive computer which was on the console, but I guess I forgot to push the start button.

I make it to the surface, but the other freedivers have shot a fish and our boat driver goes to help them (we had seen a large bullshark in the area). So I am kicking to stay on the surface and the scuba charter boat is really close to me and I just know he sees me there on this flat calm day.

Since my boat is down current and not coming for me, I decide to start the computer and drop down a little and check the computer and the depth calibration versus a freedive computer. That goes well also and I make a second uneventful ascent to the surface.

Now I see the charter boat coming toward me, I think “wow that is nice for him to come over and check if I am OK.. but he is kinda coming a little fast”, but then he continues to accelerate and I need to quickly swim to the side and away and the boat goes zipping by me. Pretty fast and pretty close. I’m surprised and pissed and yell - the captain comes off the wheel after he passes me and yells that he didn’t see me.

Can’t really blame him too much, but he should have been looking ahead when he operates the boat around a bunch of freedivers and scuba dives and he should probably stay at an idle speed too. And of course, if I had sent up an SMB and marked my position, I am sure he would have noticed me.

I ASSUMED my boat would follow above me and protect me and I ASSUMED the charter captain was seeing me on the surface. The captain apparently ASSUMED no divers were in the immediate area, so he could put the hammer down a little.

Three bad assumptions that almost had serious consequences.

Hey I got the weightbelt back!

:eek:

Simple communication instead of assumptions life 101. Noticed the dive charter boat is flying the dive flag while underway. That cpt. needs a talking too. Glad you are ok. Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
Wow! Close call Jim, I would have been saddened to hear you were struck by a boat.

Aside from the, don't make assumptions aspect and the lack of communication with your boat captain, you know what I've learned? I need to get proficient in freediving. I think it could really help a scuba divers abilities.

Love your " Kinda close buddy".....

Jim....

Love your " Kinda close buddy".....

Jim....

You're funny. :)

I'd say the same thing if it were you or anyone else who I've developed a relationship with on here.

But you want to know something? Jim, has continuously reached out to me pubIicly and privately giving me advice and answering my questions. He's probably had more impact on my diving than anyone else on here. So yeah, I would be sad if he freaking got hit by a boat before I ever had the opportunity to buy him a beer. o_O

And while the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet, guess who would be the first person I'll call when I finally get down to S. Florida for some diving? And likewise he knows he has a place to crash over here in West Florida for some diving.

You know what else this video illustrates? There's a lot of people spewing nonsense when it comes to gear, etc. Like "you should go out and buy a 40 cu ft pony for divers doing 60 ft. dives or you're going to die." :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom