A biased opinion on Costa Rica - assistance in planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I often compare notes with people who have been around. Meaning that they have been to several dive destinations, more than once, so they have a rough idea of what to expect. Comparitively, Costa Rica still rates numero uno, for me.

Depending on how much adventure you are looking for CR offers a lot. You can do your diving in the Northern part, which is where the best diving is. Afterward, you two can take a short flight with Sansa or Nature Air to, San Jose. The flights to and from Liberia (which is the International Airport in the Northern half) to San Jose are about $80. Flying is much easier, and cheaper than renting a car. The streets/highways are not easy to follow. I suggest not beating yourself up and fly, much more enjoyable.

From San Jose you can book with RiosTropicales (www.riostropicales.com) and white water raft the Pacuari River. The river trip is beautiful and exciting. Depending on your experience you will be placed anywhere from class 2/3's to class 4/5’s (I think that is the highest).

While in San Jose, use Suisse Travel to send you on a tour of Monteverde Volcano/rainforest. Read about the forest here: http://www.monteverde.org/ Should you do both of those trips (whitewater and volcano), you will be two nights in San Jose. There are other volcanoes you can check out in Costa Rica, Monteverde happens to be the most spectacular. Note, these are full day trips. I love the white water rafting. You can buy your pics at the end, I'm not usually one to buy the touristy stuff but this is well worth the $12. You will get to preview dvd with your group while you are having lunch. So you can then decide for yourself. BTW, the lunch they provide is delicious :) I have never done Monteverde, only heard wonderful things about it, it is just not my cup of tea, and I had my fill in Yellowstone. The reason I suggest it, is because if you are into hiking and nature, this is a must do.

Another thing to try when while in San Jose and using it as your base, are the canopy tours. I went during the dry season. Typically there are about 15 runs. I found most people are "done" after about the fourth. During the dry season this isn't quite as beautiful as when everything is a lush green but still fun. Most places offer 9 or 15 runs, I suggest the former. Be prepared for a major adrenaline rush on the first canopy :winky:

As for lodging in CR; I recommend staying in Playa Hermosa. I stay at the Villa del Sueno, which is a ten-minute walk from the dive shop http://www.villadelsueno.com/rates.htm. If you choose the Sueno, be sure to phone them and check about any rate reductions. I personally, love it there. They have a full restaurant and often times a band. If you are too worn out from diving, you can just throw on a pair of flip-flops, walk down and have dinner, then meander over to the bar area to relax by the pool.

Now to talk diving. Diving Safaris is the best op in town IMO. Run by two Americans, Earl and Bobby Jo. They are wonderful. They moved there several years ago to raise their children. They can be reached here: info@costaricadiving.net .

Things to see underwater: bull shark, white tip reef shark, manta rays, clown shrimp, a million different kinds of eels, bat rays, turtle’s, southern sting rays, spotted eagle rays, humpback whales, loads and loads of brilliantly colored fish, and the list goes on.

As for the Catalina Islands; I highly recommend them. However, if you don't make it out and do the other spots closer in you haven't really lost out. You are going to see so much on the other dives. Furthermore, I personally have several dives under my belt and IMO the Catalina's are, on the whole, an advanced dive. Some will choose to go though they are not really advanced, if you do so, please, please, stay close to your DM. Yes, of course it has its days where it is a bit more mild but on the whole... it is advanced. I'll say this, my lil sis has about 30-40 dives and I would not take her out there. Again, she would not be missing that much, so I don't see the need. That said, I loved the Catalina's. Viz isn't always great near the upwellings, which happens to be where the Manta's cross (best spot for food) but it is definitely a brilliant place. Spotted loads of White Tip Reef Sharks there.

A few final notes, if you go, you may want to try the four-runners right there in Play Hermosa, which take you on a tour through the forest, pretty cool. Oh and fishing! I took my son one year and he caught a sailfish. Fantastic experience. Mau (who is also a DM at Diving Safari’s) and Lisa are the ones to contact about fishing. Check with Diving Safari’s to get their info, if you are in fact interested in the fishing, perhaps on your last day. For dining after diving – you must go to Pescado Locale, a three minute walk from Safari’s. Comfy homey place. Two “mom’s” doing the cooking. Absolutely delicious. You will find, if they are not busy, they hang out in the dining room. Tamarindo offers some easy surfing spots and isn't too far of a hike.

Hope that helps,

-MissD

Please note, I write this only as a courtesy to my fellow SB’ers. I have been to CR several times and just want to help others with their planning. Perhaps take some of the stress/work of planning away. Keep some from making some of the mistakes I did at first :winky:

Warning; As with most any destination, dive conditions are not always favorable. Check with your dive-op when booking to find out the best times of the year.

Sweet! I'll just back up the info on Catalina. Go there if you can! I would also say this is an advanced dive. That was the most current I've ever been in. If you do go, make sure you have a SMB/reel - no one is going to make you dive with them, but good practice. Conditions can really vary and there were some spots where getting seperated would have been easy.

I can't wait to go back. Appears I missed out on a lot! hehehe:D

Good write up MD, and good info about CR. I also love CR for the diving and everything else. I feel appreciated there by the locals, unlike some other places Ive been. I have been 5 times and all over the country. There is also decent diving in the south at Cano island/Drake Bay and the highlight of the dry tours is the Osa/Corcovado NP. Nat Geo says its the most biodiverse spot on the planet, so if you like the land critters its hard to beat. I call it a "zoo without bars". Enjoy!

What do you mean by "an advanced dive"? Just how advanced?

peterbj7:
What do you mean by "an advanced dive"? Just how advanced?

There can be very strong current. Especially near the upwellings. I am thinking of people who haven't been in currents and surge often. I could see my sister saying "wth :11:", that is all. I was also thinking of those that haven't practiced using an smb, in case they were to get blown off. Remember, this is only my personal opinion. Others will disagree, fair enough. Oh and yes, it can be an easyish dive as well... I just want people to know. it is a great place but if they can't do it CR has so much to offer, they won't be walking away feeling as though they totally missed out.

Hey, I got Bobbie Jo to send me a rate sheet and some other info.

DIVING RATES 2007 PLAYA HERMOSA

Diving Trips:
2 Tank Morning Dive $75
2 and 3 Day PKG Local Dive $70 per day
4 or more Local Diving $65 per day
2 Tank Morning Dive (Scuba Diver Cert.) $125 (INC EQUIP)
Discover Scuba Follow Up Dives $125 (INC EQUIP)
1 Tank Night Dive (4 persons min) $65
Catalina Island Dive (6 persons min) $100 (advanced dive)
Bat Island Dive (6 persons min) $165 (advanced dive, lunch included)
All dive trips prices include boat, tank(s), weights, belts, guide and snacks

Courses:
Discover Scuba Diving $135
Refresher $40
Scuba Diver Course $300
Open Water Course $425
Open Water Referral $275
Advanced Diving Certification $300
Nitrox Certification $250
Emergency First Responder $150
Rescue Diver Certification $425

Snorkeling/Boat Riders (Local Sites Only):
Snorkelers or Boat Riders with divers $40

Equipment Rental for Diving Safaris Customers:
Full Equipment PKG with shortie wetsuit $25
Nitrox tank 32% $12 (24 hour notice)

BCD $10 / Regulator $10 /Shortie 3 mm wetsuit $5 / Full 3 mm wetsuit $10, Fins $3, Mask $3 / Dive Light $12

Snorkeling Equipment Rental:
2 hours $5
24 hours $15
(need either credit card deposit or $50 cash deposit)

I also got this from them:

Dive shop hours are 7:00am till 5:00pm Monday – Sunday. The morning boat departs at 8:30am and returns at around 12:30pm. Our facility is located in Playa Hermosa Guanacaste (second beach entrance to Playa Hermosa, on left side of street about 150 meters from the beach). We provide FREE transportation to and from the local hotels to the dive shop. We are closed New Years Day. Divers must check in by calling 672-1259 or 672-1260 the day before or by 7:45am the day they plan to dive.
We are a full service PADI 5 Star Gold Palm training facility, offering courses for beginners (Discover Scuba Diving) and certification courses from open water diver to professional levels (Dive Master and Assistant Instructor). We are long-term members of DAN Partners in Dive Safety Program. The dive boats are equipped with oxygen and first aid kits and our Dive Master’s are trained yearly in Emergency First Response and DAN O2 provider. Most of our staff has worked for Diving Safaris for more than 5 years. We have the best dive masters, captains, and instructors Guanacaste has to offer!
Diving Safaris has 5 boats operating full time. The Giorgiana is a 42-foot Aluminum Striker with a large sun deck, and covered deck, platform and fresh water rinse. The Safaris III is a 35-foot custom with a platform and covered area. Mi Reina Grace is a 27 ft fast boat. Soyla and Nueva Esperanza are 28ft fast boats equipped with outboards, they all have good ladders for easy entry on to the boat and covered area.
All divers must show their certification cards to be able to dive. Please remind them to bring their certification cards!!!!!
We rinse and store the equipment for the divers. The gear is loaded every morning and set up for the divers. We dive at two different sites; we change the equipment during the surface interval while the customers enjoy themselves snorkeling at one of the many beautiful beaches in Guanacaste. At the end of the day we unload the equipment then rinse and store the gear for their next dive day (please take personal wetsuits to the room).
We have more than 20 local dive sites that we choose from. The first dive is usually maximum 70 to 80 feet and is a multilevel dive. The second is a shallower dive of 40 to 60 feet. Local Dive sites are 20 to 45 minute boat ride. Almost all the dive sites can accommodate all levels of experience. The ocean is rich with life here in the Papagayo gulf. On the local dives we typically see white-tip reef sharks, nurse sharks, many varieties of schooling fish, 6 species of eels, 7 types of rays, octopus, sea horses, nudibranches, AND much more. There is good chance to see a whale shark too.
Catalina Islands (Advanced dive). We normally go to Catalinas year round. It is about a 1-_ boat ride south depending on the condition of the ocean. We need a minimum of 6 divers to make the trips. During the dry season (Dec-April) you have a chance to see huge pacific manta rays but be prepared for rough surface conditions. During the rainy season (May-Nov) we have calmer seas and we normally see huge schools of cow nose rays, eagle rays, an occasional manta, white-tip reef sharks, schools of barracuda, and horse eye jacks.
Bat Islands / Murcielagos (Advance plus dive). The rainy season (April-November) is the best time of year to visit this famous location because there is less wind and the ocean is calmer. One of the locations is called The Big Scare, which is where we have a chance to see the bull sharks. We need a minimum of 6 divers to make the trips. It is about a 1-2 hour boat ride north depending on conditions of the sea. Trips during the dry season are not possible. These dives are weather dependent.
Please note: There is a lot of current and surge at both Catalinas and Bat Islands. It is important that divers are comfortable in the water and have some experience. Divers need to dive locally before making trips to Catalina or Bat Islands! Upgrades to Catalina or Bat Islands are not commissionable and are dependent on the level of skill the diver has. JR Divers must be 15 years of age have proof of 40 logged dives.
Night Dives: This is a one-tank dive combination sunset, nighttime cruise. We depart at around 5:30, depending on the time of sunset. It is a nice 30-minute cruise to the dive site. Our maximum depth for this dive is 40 feet with a maximum time, depending on the amount of air the diver uses, is 45 minutes to an hour. We need a minimum of 4 certified divers for this trip, riders are also welcome. After the dive it is a nice cruise back to the Playa Hermosa looking at the stars and the luminescent in the water. This trip is also weather dependent. Please note: JR divers need to have proof of 20 logged dives to participate on a night dive.
COURSES

**They offer all of the PADI courses. Inquire with them as it was way too much to list here. :)

Upgrades for Catalinas, Bat islands and also equipment rental are not commissionable. Customers need to pay for the local days of diving and pay the upgrades and equipment rental to the dive shop. Deposits of 25% are required 60 days in advance for groups of 15 or more. All payments need to be received 30 days before arrival, with the exception of last minute reservations. No Refunds for unused portions of dive packages.

Thank you, we look forward to doing business with your company.
Earl and Bobbie Jo Gibbs
Diving Safaris Costa Rica
PADI 5 Star Gold Palm Dive Center
Playa Hermosa GTE
TEL 672-1259 OR 672-1260
FAX 672-0231
info@costaricadiving.net
www.costaricadiving.net

Although your information on CR is pretty accurate, it is by no means comprehensive. Your visits seem to have been confined to the Guanacaste peninsula and travel corridor to and from San Jose. This would geographically represent less than 20% of the country, and much less of the adventure this country has to offer. Having traveled there dozens of times in the last six years, and owning a business there for two, allow me to expound a little on your theme.

Although the Guanacaste peninsula has much to offer adventurers, including divers from this audience, so too do other regions in Costa Rica. Although I have been in every corner of the country my partners and I chose to hang our professional hats in the Central Pacific, specifically the Quepos/Manuel Antonio area. This area is best known for the Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio, the largest tourism destination in CR. On my first visit in 2001 I was amazed that there were no dive operators there. Despite a well developed tourism infrastructure, including every adventure activity imaginable, diving could not be had. One "operator" offered to bring in tanks and gear from San Jose, three hours away. In order to dive the islands offshore of the park we had to rent tanks in Jaco, an hour away, and charter a small inflatable off the Bisanz beach.

Once I finally made it in the water, I was amazed. Now, understand, I'm from Florida, the middle of the universe for diving. Still, I had never gone diving in a place where I knew I was likely the first person to have done so. Although the viz was not spectacular, the underwater landscape sure was. Lots of approachable fish and huge rock formations later, I knew this was the place. I soon found out why there were no operators there. Nope, it wasn't poor conditions. It was more like the expense, effort and determination needed to open a full service dive operation in a remote (for us in the US) location. It took a while but we did it, and have been growing since.

This diving season has been spectacular in our part of the country. We have had consistantly calm water and great visibility since mid December, something the Guanacaste has not been able to boast of as yet. Some of the posts here mention our trips to Cano Island, a world class dive site. We started the trips at the request of divers on a tight time schedule with no time to make the trek further south by road or air. Yes, there is a two hour boat ride, each way, to get there. This trip has proven so popular though that we now go three times a week. We now have two boats and a third on the way, the latest will be a 30 foot cat hulled RIB capable of carrying 12 divers at 30 knots. We expect to have this boat in the water for the 07-08 season, starting in December.

As far as other adventures go, this is the place for one stop shopping. In this area the rain forest meets the sea, literally. Be it rafting, canopy tours, sport fishing, surfing or a couple of dozen other pursuits it's all well within an hour from here. We also have a variety of lodging choices, from backpackers hostels to the only 5-star resort in Costa Rica. Restaurants serve everything imaginable, from French continental to Tico. And yes, there is a great deal of night life here as well.

Well, I'm trying to not belabor the point, but most folks on this board seem stuck in a small part of the country when it comes to diving in Costa Rica. I guess I'm a little biased as well. How will you know unless you come down and check it out?

www.oceansunlimitedcr.com

We'll save a spot in the boat for you.

Well you didn't actually add much but to tell us what you thought of your area, which is fair enough :) My report was meant to cut out some things. I did that purposely. It was my intention to write about the things I have liked the best, thus far. :D

That said, I do appreciate your adding what you like best about CR.:)

Wear gloves on the second dive at Catalina. Your hands take a beating trying to hold on to the bottom in the canyon with the sharks. If you can get in there at all.

abdiver:
Wear gloves on the second dive at Catalina. Your hands take a beating trying to hold on to the bottom in the canyon with the sharks. If you can get in there at all.

Great point! We had two fella's that couldn't make it around the turn. The DM took them back the way we came while Johnny and I continued on.

Hey is that your place in CR (the av?).

Back
Top Bottom