A bit of a slow start...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TipsyMcStagger

Registered
Reaction score
I first registered on the site about ten years ago. Back in 2009, I did a PADI referral course in NYC but never completed the open water dives. For the past six years, I've been boating in west central FL and have recently become interested in spearfishing. So enough sitting on the sidelines!

Today, I finally completed my PADI open water diver course at a local shop near my home in FL. I had a blast and I'm looking forward to more diving!

It's been recommended that I buy my equipment from my local shop to build a relationship and also so I can get it serviced where it was sold. But the shop where I trained (there are others nearby) only carries Aqualung and Sherwood, so I'm a little reluctant to limit myself to just those two brands. I've had several friends recommend ScubaPro equipment.

I have lots of research to do. I'd like to put a kit together over the next month or so.

Finally certified!

Tipsy

"For the past six years, I've been boating in west central FL and have recently become interested in spearfishing. So enough sitting on the sidelines!"

Yeah. Since I got into diving, to me, going to the beach or on a boat without diving is like looking in a store window from across the street without going in, and claiming I visited the store. Something's just missing.

On the gear issue, you don't have to go all-or-nothing. A regulator needs occasional servicing. That, I'd get local. If you get a BP/W setup instead of a jacket BCD (an issue discussed on other threads), you may need some help choosing components and getting it optimized for you, in which case buying local would be good, too. A good wetsuit needs to fit; that might be worth going local, where you can try them on.

Dive computers are an individual taste and can cost quite a bit; get the one you want. If the local shop sells it, peachy. If not, don't compromise on that & settle for what they've got if it's not what you want.

Richard.

Thanks for the feedback. I had to Google BP/W so given my unfamiliarity, I don't think that's the direction I'm headed. At least not for now. I'll stick with the jacket BCD.

I do plan to buy gear, however. I live on a canal and own a boat, so my diving won't be limited to vacations and traveling. In fact, I intend to dive locally as much as possible. There's some great spearfishing in the area.

Tipsy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom