a bit off-topic but I'll ask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My diving buddy and I are good pals in real life, and have been doing all our diving around Vancouver, BC. So far, we've gotten to love the Pacific Northwest... That being said, both of us are very adventureous guys. While we're both really keen on continuing diving around the PNW, we've acquired another goal for the next year: climbing mount Baker in WA state.

I know this is a scuba-board, but I'm sure many people here, by token of being into scuba, are also adventurous in other ways. Has anyone ever climbed Baker, or known anyone who has?? From what I've heard, it's one of the easier climbs out there, yet still an awesome experience and very challenging, much in the same way scuba is...

Does anyone have any good advice? Again, I know this is a scuba board, but this place is so active and there are so many outdoor-friendly people here from the PNW I figured I might as well try to ask!

I know of one person who has, but it's not an easy walk in the park i don't think.

So, I come from the outdoor industry and can highly recommend the Mountaineers program in Washington state. You can find your local Mountaineers chapter, join...and they have classes that will get you to the level you need to be at to safely climb mountains.

BTW...scuba gear=$$$ Mountain climbing gear=$$$$

I'll tell you, though, every time that I hike the Carbon Glacier loop...it makes me want to climb Mt. Rainier. Good thing I don't have the money, or my scuba gear would dry out!!!

I've summited Baker a few times...twice via the Boulder Glacier route and once up the Easton Glacier.
The Boulder Gl route is probabaly the best for getting away from crowds, etc. although it as a long ways in and a fair bit of elevation (about 9,000 feet total).
The Easton Glacier is pretty mellow if you get it early season to avoid crevasses, just wait for a good high pressure weather window. This route can even be done in a day if'n you're in good shape. But its always nice to camp on glaciers.
What with the nice winter (re: lots of snow) we've had, conditions should be real good through mid summer at least.
Just be familiar with roped glacier travel, crevasse rescue, crampon use, navigation, etc. Probabaly take some wands & GPS in case weather changes.
All in all, a pretty mellow outing if you take the Easton, Coleman-Deming or Boulder routes. Basically just a slog.
Check out cascadeclimbers.com for trip reports, etc.
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom