A FB friend posted his brother died today in Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Push the Devil?

Jesus, that's a little unfortunate. Smacks a little of Hubris.

So, what can we learn from this incident? What mistakes were made that we can take note of a avoid?

I'd take that fb posting with a grain of salt.

The lesson to learn is this: Analyze every friggin bottle you put to your mouth. Air, Nitrox, Trimix, whatever, analyze it before you breathe it.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2013 at 10:56 PM ----------

Why? :wink:

The Ontario Underwater Council investigates and reports on all fatal dive accidents in the province. As well, the OUC investigates and reports on all fatal dive accidents out of province when a diver from Ontario is involved.

The OUC has learned that Carlos Fonseca has died during a cave dive in Florida. Mr. Fonseca was president of Great Lakes Technical Divers (an Ontario based
non-profit Technical Diving Community) and according to the GLTD he was a National Association For Cave Diving Wakulla Award recepient. Mr. Fonseca was an integral part of the Ontario technical dive community and we send our deepest condolences to his family and Great Lake Technical Divers on behalf of all OUC staff, Advisors, the Board, member clubs and commercial clubs.

The OUC will be posting more details as information becomes available. Anyone with information that could assist the OUC in preparing the accident report should contact Stephen@stephenweir.com.

FWIW, I was only commenting that it was surreal to read someones last post. It ominously foretold his fate. However in no way was I judging his choice of words.

Look, Sb is a place for people to learn. Obviously, people who know Carlos Fonseca, who I am sure was a wonderful man, seem to know what happened and are commenting here.

Please let the rest of us know what happened.

From people on the scene Manni.
He took a stage bottle filled with Oxygen and swam it upstream 400' at a depth of about 85'.

OK. Thanks! People on the scene makes sense. I thought perhaps there was an article or posting from somewhere else with more details that everyone was elluding to with no reference to find it.

Any idea if it was an accidental switch to a properly labeled tank, a non labeled or mislabeled tank or what? What are the details that caused him to make the mistake of going onto o2 at that depth?

What I try to remind myself when a well resepcted, highly trained, strong technical diver dies....is that no matter how much training and experience I end up with - none of our safety rules and procedures should ever be taken for granted. Every one of them has a strong purpose. Never get to comfortable regardless of how good we think we are and how much fun we are having in this sport.

I only knew him from facebook. But a diver who was with him when it happened is a former student of mine and I have heard from him. He is not yet ready to go into.details as he also helped recover the deceased.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom