A good BC for a growing teen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rockhound76

Contributor
Reaction score
My newest dive buddy is my 14yr. old son. He is very enthusiastic and after a week of diving in Florida, I've been impressed with his skills.

Of course, he was using rental gear, but he's now expressed a desire for some of his own. Since he NEVER asks for stuff, I'm willing to take a chance on the longevity of his interest in diving (after all, I've been diving since I was a kid, more than 30 years).

Anyway, he was trained on a jacket system (XS) and weight belt. He wants to go integrated. Unfortunately, he's at the "rapid growth stage", so I'm a little unsure about the sizing and the size tolerances of some units out there. XS makes the Nekton, which fits him fine as a medium, but will not likely fit him long.

The LDS also sells Poseidon systems. These are "infinitely adjustable" (not really, but they fit pretty much anybody). They're a bit expensive, but if they last as long as some of my gear, that's no problem (some of my stuff is OLD).

I learned back inflation as a teen and never had a problem with it.

My questions:
1) Are there jacket type BC's that have a wide range of size tolerance (something to fit from Med-to-Large w/o buying another jacket)

2) Any condemation for getting him a nice "one size fits all" wing type bc like the Poseidon BeeSea? He tried my Ranger and said it was okay.

His preferences, btw, aren't strong. He doesn't seem interested in the gear as much as the diving, seeing some wrecks and taking photos (his first photos were pretty good).

I am sure I'll be the first of many to recommend a backplate/wing setup. It is truely infinitely adjustable, modular and cheaper/the same price as a jacket BCD.

In addition to helping you achieve good trim, it is trivial to reign in/let out the webbing as he changes size and shape. Worst case is you stump up another 30 bucks for a new set of webbing if he puts on a huge growth spurt and the stuff you cut short/neat doesn't fit any more...

Your son prefers integrated weights - I can understand. I put my weights on tank pouches and have dived the last 100 dives or so without a belt - the feeling of freedom it gives is a huge plus for me.

This is my recommendation, the first of many I am sure :)

Try the Sea Soft Pro BC. It's a jacket style BC and is fully adjustable from XS to XLg!

Laur, my wife, is 5'3" (I'm being genreous). I', 6'2" and 240 pounds. When my Genesis Recon dump valves failed on me recently, I borrowed her BC, adjusted it to fit me and made a couple of dives!

The weight ingtegration is about the most sane on the market, too. No fumbling with pouches and special hook in locks. The Sea Soft Pro has big pockets with zippers on top. Drop in the weight you neede, zip up and go! The bottom of the pocket is the quick release.

They're not cheap, but they're really well made and your son may not need another BC until this one wears out!

Here's a weblink for you: SeaSost Pro BC

No, I am not a Sea Soft dealer or salesman. I just replaced my Recon with a SeaQuest Balance. I prefer a back inflate BC.

Ian

Geoff_H:
I am sure I'll be the first of many to recommend a backplate/wing setup. It is truely infinitely adjustable, modular and cheaper/the same price as a jacket BCD.

In addition to helping you achieve good trim, it is trivial to reign in/let out the webbing as he changes size and shape. Worst case is you stump up another 30 bucks for a new set of webbing if he puts on a huge growth spurt and the stuff you cut short/neat doesn't fit any more...

Your son prefers integrated weights - I can understand. I put my weights on tank pouches and have dived the last 100 dives or so without a belt - the feeling of freedom it gives is a huge plus for me.

This is my recommendation, the first of many I am sure :)

I also recommend a plate and wings. I've worked with tons of teens. Many prefer the simplicity of the plate and wing. Some consider BP/W "cooler" & "pro-like" too.

On the same note, some teens (females) may prefer jackets. I can't recommend any since I think poodle jackets are a PITA.

X

I'm gonna push the back plate and wing also but I would like to mention the DUI weight and trim 2 system as well. Its better than integration hands down and more comfortable than a belt.

Lots of companies make good bp/wings so shop around. I just got a plate from FredT and a bundle of webbing and hardware from reef scuba. but OMS, DSS, Dive Rite, Halcyon, Oxycheq, and Golem all make great products. Prices for plates start at $89 and go up to about $175 for stainless, harness stuff will set you back about $50 and a wing could cost as little as $150 to as much as $500 or more. Add on a DUI weight system for $120 and your set.

BP/W all the way. Many companies offer "integrated" weights as well, so you can just slide them on the harness belt and be done with it.

You own a Zeagle Ranger and you don't know the answer?? Either a BP/W or something from Zeagle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom