A good way to get wayward teens on the right track

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is a ropes course. one year at a summer camp the county brought
some trouble maker kids out and we went threw it with them .it was a very humbleing experience for those kids.

IMO, there are lots of activities that if taught right will teach many of lifes lessons and build character. Scuba could be one of them.

for a variety of reasons

-its fun
-so they could have a new experience
-I thought it would make them feel special, like an activity that not every kid gets an opportunity to try
-something that might fulfill the need for an adrenaline rush, some people need
-an outlet or release, something we can do together that gets them away from their everyday stuff
-an activity we can do together as they are growing older and getting closer to leaving the nest

I don't know if its all those things, in some ways its more. It is good for their self-confidence and to open the world up to them to experience new things.

The most important thing is, they have got to WANT to do it. It is not an activity that should be pushed on anyone.

My Ducks did COPE this past year... they loved it.

But I agree with Doc... and my ScubaDucks have grown up a LOT due to scuba. Though we don't stop at just OW... most of them did their Rescue Diver this past spring... Lifeguard too. ANYTHING that imbues a feeling of utter accomplishment will also get any kid (wayward or not) on the right track of achieving instead of destroying. Most kids destroy only because they don't know how to create. Teaching them that "they can" is probably the best for them... and us.

Haven't said much in this forum yet, just a bit of background, grew up in scouts, made Eagle, have worked at many ropes/cope type courses with everyone from youth at risk, to corporate groups. (This stuff is all I did every weekend from about age 7 till I was 24)

With that said, scuba could be a good learning activity for these situations. It is NOT an activity that you would drop someone into that does not possess the skills to act safely. I will give you somewhat of a long example: I was 20 and was working with a group that came to an outdoor learning center where I was working. They were going to be coming once a week for the next 6 weeks. The group was considered "youth at risk" and were in a city program to help straighten them out. Most had some form of a prior arrest record, 3 that I knew of for assault. (Those 3 also just happened to be about a foot taller then I was and have about 100+ lbs on my scrawny butt) Anyway, before taking this group as their instructor I met with the leaders for the group and made it very clear that I was in charge while they were on my farm, and they weren't to intervene in a situation unless I started the intervention into a situation. The first day, these 12 kids couldn't form a straight line if I offered each of them 100 bucks each to do so. We started with basic skills of teamwork, High confidence course type stuff for those in scouts, and worked though the progression into technical climbing skills and the really cool stuff that you think about on ropes courses.

Would scuba be a good start for this group? NO, No way, I would be in fear for the students lives. Most of them couldn't sit in the same room with out picking a fight when they got there. By week 6? They were a very close, very tight group that wouldn't let anyone fall behind no matter what was going on. Were they ready for scuba then? Yes, I would have loved to teach them. They came from a group that didn't give a crap about each other to know what it was like to depend and lead each other in what they perceived to be life threatening situations. (Usually nobody is in real danger but danger is easily perceived in some situations in these courses)

Now finally to my point. While scuba diving you are truly in what has the potential to be a life threatening situation very quickly. Not something to start any youth at risk group with, they need to build up to it. I feel the same way about almost anyone, you need the mental fitness and attitude to dive and be safe.

PS. I am very proud of this group and think about them often and hope they are doing well. My second proudest moment of ever instructing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom