A heads up for Canadians about far fewer flights this winter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cicopo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you haven't started looking for your flight yet you will not like the options. Air Canada & Westjet have removed many weekday flights from what we're used to & raised prices too. My wife phoned Westjet to see if they intend to add those mid week flights later but they said what you see now is the winter schedule.

I knew about WestJet it actually got us a free night lol. They dropped the Tuesday off their flights and only fly Thursday and Sunday to St Lucia. They also dropped their direct flights from Moncton to Cancun.
I was told by a WestJet rep that they were forced to drop flights because they added some new destinations and did not buy new planes.

If you haven't started looking for your flight yet you will not like the options. Air Canada & Westjet have removed many weekday flights from what we're used to & raised prices too. My wife phoned Westjet to see if they intend to add those mid week flights later but they said what you see now is the winter schedule.

I noticed that too. Kinda sucks cause I really liked the option of going to Coz for less than 7 days for a quickie scuba diving trip!

I flew Westjet once a few years ago - Comox to Calgary to Toronto to Cozumel. The flight from Toronto to Cozumel was longer than the flight from Calgary to Toronto :( Too bad they don't fly from Calgary to Houston, or better yet Calgary direct to Cozumel. :thumb: I'm sure that a lot of western Canadians would take advantage of that option if available.

I normally fly United - haven't been dragged off a flight kicking or screaming yet :wink: Last March on my way home via Seattle, a flight attendant gave me a couple of blankets when she heard I had a long overnight layover at Seatac. I have always found United to have friendly staff, either at the counter / gate, or while on the flight. Next March I will be flying with United again. I have always found their flights to be cheaper than Westjet as well. :clapping:

Divegoose

Agree that western Canada needs a more direct route than having to go thru Toronto but that's another problem. With fewer flights for those of us who do go thru Toronto they will be sold out much sooner than many of us even start shopping for a flight.

I noticed the flights were terrible this year and gave a heads up to family members. I'm coming into Cancun from Regina via Calgary. My husband is coming a couple of weeks later on a direct flight to Cancun. Basically there are no flights to Cozumel that don't involve an overnight in the US (and that entire nosebleed experience) and there are few direct flights to Cancun. People are voting with their feet, for whatever reason. I suspect it's concern about crime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom