a little history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watergal

Reaction score
I was having another deep air discussion with a buddy tonight and realized that this is 30 years to the day that fellow Canadians Archie Forfar and Anne Gunderson died in the Bahamas while trying to "officially" break a deep air record. Although they had previously been below 450ft unofficially, for the record they needed witnesses and other verification. On this day 30 years ago diving conditions at the site were poor and there were equiptment problems, but because of all the witnesses and press assembled they elected to proceed. Their bodies were found by a sub at 485ft, but could not be recovered.

Just thought they should be remembered.

It is sad that anyone would ever want to break such a record. While they should be remembered as indivduals who lived, loved, had good times and bad I don't believe they should be remembered for this misguided attempt at "history." It should be remembered that many people have died trying to pull such stunts. Associating the names of people making such attempts (successful & unsuccessful) with the attempt merely encourages others to strive for fame in the same manner.

DSSW,

WWW™

You think so? Interesting. My buddy and I have a rather lively discussion about this once a month or so.

He is intrigued by deep air diving. He knows some people have died, but can't tell me who where or why. I think deep air diving is unacceptably risky and pointless. The names and grieving friends and families are theentire reason I feel like I do.

People are different , huh?

Most people are not motivated to such extremes by such silly reasons, but there exists that lunatic fringe........on second thought perhaps I was too hasty in my first post, it's not a bad idea to weed out the lunatic fringe.

DSSW,

WWW™

Human progress has been made throughout history not by the "middle of the road" crowd, nor by the "safety first" crowd, nor by the "everybody knows" crowd, but rather by those willing to test the edge of the envelope. Some fail, some make astounding discoveries. There are lessons in these attempts, whether successful or not, for those of us who didn't try it.
Today, with more knowledge, and the ready availability of safer gases, setting a new "deep air record" does have no point.
Archie and Anne proved that it's suicidal do try air really deep.
Remember them. Remember the lesson.
Rick

So true that these and others are and were unnecessary deaths, and perhaps in our collective views not wise, but (isn't there always a but).remember that many others have sacrificed their lives and health to make this dive industry safer for us.;-0

"Pushing the envelope" has been man's nature fro many , many years. This has allowed people such as, Christopher Columbus, Admunson, Hillary, Cousteau and others to open the doors for the rest. They put their lives on the line and many of these people we celebrate................I guess I am saying for the two and others that have died trying deep water stunts do not necessarily deserve our praise, but neither do they deserve our disdaine.............

You don't even want to get me started on Columbus.

Exploration is one thing, foolishness is quite another.

DSSW,

Walter

with Columbus...............just because he got lost looking for the west indies, (couldn't navigate) actually didn't know there was a great land mass in his way.............he discovered the great land of the america, right after the nordics found it and also after the mongolians and after etc etc..................lets face ............it was a mistake..............but then, most "discoveries" are mistakes..............

You got me started and after I warned you. Navigation was not Columbus' problem. Let's first dispell a few myths about Columbus. He did not prove the earth is round. That concept was proved and accepted by educated people from ancient times. The ancient Greeks even calculated the approximate size of the Earth quite accurately. Everyone knew it was possible (in theory) to sail around the world to the Indies. The problem with such an expedition was the distance was so far that a ship could not carry enough supplies to last the journey. Columbus felt our planet was much smaller than it actually is. Had there been no unexpected land between Europe and Asia he would have either turned back or died in a feeble attempt to prove the world is smaller than it is.

My problem with Columbus is the fact that he was evil. Columbus enslaved the people he found. He enslaved them to enrich himself and the Spanish nobility. In the process of gathering wealth he caused the deaths of approximately 6 million people. Columbus ranks with Hitler and Stalin amoung the truly evil personages of history.

DSSW,

WWW™

Many scholars think the Greeks learned their geometry from the ancient Egyptians. The Egyptians had figured out the 3,4,5 triangle.They also knew about the number 3.14, or pi as it's commonly called. That in itself is quite a accomplishment. The Egyptians had also calculated the circumference of the earth and were quite accurate with their calculations. All the countries that explored the New World wound up enslaving or exploiting the native peoples. What a shame.:tree:Bob

Back
Top Bottom